Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

RA-hs

Customer Question

My GE profile oven door remained locked after the oven cleaning cycle was complete. The oven is newer, purchased in 2010, computer operated so no exterior latch. I have turned off the power to the oven, pressed cancel, etc. It was been two days now and I need my oven. No warranty of course :( Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is one of the most common problems I see with GE ovens I'm afraid to say. Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already saw this posting online - for FREE! Your service did nothing to help me!!!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean. This is exactly what you need to do to fix your problems. I'm sorry your oven has failed, but no one wrote exactly what I wrote on the internet except me. Those are my words and they are definitely accurate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, saw the same diagnosis on the internet. I feel like my $30 would have been better spent on a repairman to replace the latch assembly.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
OK, then perhaps the internet didn't mislead you this time, but you never know if you can trust free information. Have a nice day.