Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a compact front end stackable washer/dryer. Yeasrerday

I have a compact front end stackable washer/dryer. Yeasrerday after doing 2 loads of wash ,I went to do a third and I got nothing .Washer does not appear to be getting any power.I checked the plug and I made sure a breaker hadnt blowen.The water is on.Is there a sensor thats gone bad? Please help.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Frigidaire service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

There is no fuse on the machine so if you have the unit plugged in and are sure the outlet and breaker are good, but yet still no lights on control or in the machine then you have a bad main control board.

Jon :

But if there are lights and you can start the machine but nothing after that then we will need to check the lid lock switch and pressure switch.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

how are you?

Jon :

This machine uses a timer so it may be difficult to see any lights but please let me know if the timer doesnt advance at all or if you cant hear any ticking away?

Jon :

You can also remove the lower front panel of the washer to check for any loose connections or hoses. That can sometimes cause the machine to fail like this.

Customer:

how much is a main board? The timer isnt working ,theres nothing.

Jon :

let me check for you know how much a timer is.

Customer:

ok

Jon :

how old is the machine and I will tell you if it is worth it for you to spend any money on it as well.

Jon :

if the machine is older then 10 years it is not worth it for you to spend any money on it for it will break further down the road. and most likely more closer to the near future. and I would hate to see you spend the money on a timer or control just to have more expensive repairs in the not so distant future.

Customer:

Its 6 yrs old. It was bought FEB. 22,2007

Jon :

let me check the price of the timer now for you? it is just the washer that is not working? or does the dryer not work as well?

Customer:

THE DRYER IS WORKING FINE

Jon :

both washer and dryer timer are about $130.

Jon :

not too bad pricing for this one.

Jon :

ok so if the machine is about 6 years or so, then I leave the decision up to you as far as for replacing the machine or parts.

Customer:

WHY WOULD THE DRYER WORK AND NOT THE WASHER IF ITS THE SAME TIMER?

Jon :

but please realize this machine is on the cheaper side and will most certianly break again soon. and if you are looking to replace it after you replace two parts on this machine you will be at more then half the cost of a new one.

Jon :

it is not the same timer.

Jon :

there is one timer for the dryer and one for the washer.

Jon :

one is on the left ( the dryer timer ) and one on the right ( the washer timer ).

Jon :

they work separately. but if you told me both were not working then it is a good chance it is the electrical connection.

Customer:

OK JON ,THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Jon :

are you sure there is power to the machine? how did you check?

Jon :

and are you sure the water supply is on to the washer?

Jon :

if yes to both questions then please lastly check to make sure the door is fully closed. because if it is not, the washer will not start.

Jon :

if the door is also locking fine then for sure the timer is bad. especially if you advance to a spin or drain cycle and you still get nothing.

Jon :

if you need the timer part number I can get that for you so you can order it on line and install it yourself to save more money.

Jon :

just let me know.

Jon :

and you are very welcome for the help. that is what i am here for.

Customer:

I HAD JUST RUN THE WASHER. I UNPLUGED THE MACHINE AND REPLUGED IT INTO A DIFFERENT OUTLET. I CHECKED THE BREAKER. I CHECKED THE DOOR SEVERAL TIMES. I TRIED TO RUN WASHER ON DIFFERENT CYCLES. I TRIED THE DRYER

Jon :

ok. so if the outlet is good and yet the machine doesnt do anything then the timer has failed on you. and possibly even the pressure switch since they are all connected electrically\

Jon :

do you want me to get part info for you so you can order them on line and install them yourself to save money?

Customer:

YES THAT WOULD BE GREAT

Jon :

you got it. be right back.

Jon :

washer timer is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNand will cost about $129. it can be ordered at either www.marcone.com or www.repairclinic.com

Jon :

the lock/ switch is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNand should cost about $75.

Jon :

as I am looking up parts for this machine I am realizing this particular model has had many problems with a bad motor.

Jon :

and that too would cause the machine to do nothing after a few loads after one another.

Customer:

THANKS JON,I HOPE IT WORKS

Jon :

have you smelled any burning rubber smell during the last few washes?

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.