Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kenmore elite oasis he type 580 top load washer.

I have a kenmore elite oasis he type 580 top load washer. When I run it the Ol code comes on after running for about 10-15 minutes. I had a service man look at it and he took the top cover off the basket and we have the small parts out of the bottom but the basket won't come out. what do I need to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So let me explain this entire issue first. It does sound like the service man is headed in the right direction. The most common problem is a nut below the inner tub that needs to “float”. Floating is when the tub fills up with water to a certain level the inner basket will rise about 1 inch from the center agitator. What this does is disengage the basket from the motor so that the agitator can rotate independently from the basket. If the basket does not float then when it tries to agitate the whole basket will turn back and forth at the same speed as the agitator and this will cause the OL/UL error code.

To fix the problem if the basket is not floating you will have to take the washer apart. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.
11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. It sounds like this is the step you are stuck on. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off. My recommendation would be to get a block of wood and set it over top of the center metal shaft. Lift up on the basket and have someone hit the wood block to push the metal shaft down. It'll be a struggle but if you keep hitting it and keep lifting it should allow you to pull the inner basket up and out. You will likely need 2 people to perform this task.

12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.

13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. You may need to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inner bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.

14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

Now if for some reason you don't find corrosion or the issue is not fixed, order and replace the 4 suspension rods because they have just become weak.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there any way to spray a lubricant on it to loosen the corrosion? It still will not lift up

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is a product called RustBuster that I use sometimes. But that takes a few hours to penetrate. Any appliance parts store would have it and maybe an Auto parts store or hardware store might carry it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where exactly would you spray it? on the bottom of the shaft it has a kindof ring that has 4 little notches every 90 degrees. Is that correct?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You would spray it onto the metal shaft where the bearing of the inner tub is sticking and touching the shaft.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.