Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

RA-jml

Customer Question

I have an 18 year old Kenmore oven that has been on the cleaning cycle for 7 hours. For the last 2 or 3 hours the fan has been grinding away, the screen says "LOCKED d o o r" and it beeps around every 30 seconds. How can I get it stopped and unlocked?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

I know you cant open the door but can you check these other places for the full model number ? graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a built in Kenmore microwave/oven combination. The instruction manual says Models 49425, 49429. I'm assuming it's one of those.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm not sure where the model number is XXXXX numbers you gave me are not the full model. I'll opt out maybe someone else knows. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The bottom of the manual has other numbers. Maybe they will help.

MNM085(345863)-4, SR10015

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today, if you still need it?

Usually Kenmore model numbers will start with a three digit prefix then have a decimal point after it. Like(NNN) NNN-NNNNor 790.84749549. It is very important to have the first three number prefix before the decimal point as for those numbers will tell us who has actually made the machine. Kenmore is just a brand name by Sears. they actually dont make their appliances, other bigger more well known companies like GE, LG, Whirlpool and so on.

Please first try to locate the model number on the machine or in the paperwork you have with the machine. If you can't locate the model and the door is still locked then dont worry about it for now.

Please power off the machine by flipping off the circuit breaker to the unit for at least ten minutes. Then after the ten minutes turn it back on and tell me what the control says? If the locked door goes away, great. Try to open the door. If the door still doesn't open then try to put the oven back into a self clean cycle and try to look and hear for the door lock to engage and disengage.

I know it will be hard to see, but look towards the top middle portion of the door where the door lock and latch is located and try to see if the door lock engages and locks or if it stays locked. Or if the door lock disengages and unlocks try to pull the door open. Now here you will need to time it so that when you pull the door open it is when the door is unlocking.

If you get the door open awesome. Just cancel the clean cycle and let the oven sit unused for about two hours if you can. If the door still doesn't come unlocked then let me know.

The only other chance you have of getting the door unlocked again is to manually force the door open with either a thin putty knife or butter knife. Taking the knife to the door lock and forcing it to the unlock position.

If the door will not unlock still then you will need to change the door lock assembly and possibly even the main control board.

Please try those suggestions and let me know what happens and I will help you more.

Thanks
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had cancelled my question and solved the problem myself before you answered. Actually I only left the circuit off about 20 seconds and used the oven again within a half hour. Everything seems fine not, but the fan sounded so rough after being on so long, it may have to be replaced.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I am glad that you were able to reset the oven control/ computer board. But if the cooling fan is still a problem or sounds sluggish or just "off" I would replace it.

When the oven goes onto a clean cycle or a bake or broil cycle and has the temp exceed 350 degrees the cooling fan will come on to cool the controls and internal parts of the oven. That is normal and should go back off when the oven reaches a safe temp. Usually around 225-275 degrees.

But if the cooling fan is staying on for hours or even days then it has shorted out. And we would need to make sure the cooling fan or the main board supplying power to the fan is the problem. And if the cooling fan seems louder or just "off", not the same as of late, then I would suspect the fan is the issue. And you will want to get that checked out quickly for if the fan doesn't cool the oven properly it could lead to more severe problems.

Please get back to me here when you have a minute to work on the oven and I will show you some diagnostic steps we can do on the fan motor to determine what the problem is.

And if you would like to include the full model number, which should be located just behind the door on the inside front face of the oven cavity frame, please include that when coming back to me here so that way I can get the part info you may need if you are going to replace the fan motor.

Thanks and I hope to hear back from you soon.