Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

E2 error message comes on and door is locked until I turn it

E2 error message comes on and door is locked until I turn it off. Food seems to be cooking on top but not bottom before this message comes on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Are you sure the error is not an F2 instead of an E2? Also, how are you turning the oven off? Do you just press the clear/off button? Or do you need to turn the circuit breaker off or unplug the oven?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Looks like E2 and it says Locked. Press the clear/off button to turn off.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Can you locate the model number? Whirlpool doesn't have any error codes that are just E-something. They are all F-something E-something, or just F-something.

The model number should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door if there is a drawer on your model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, my wife just walked in and said it actually is F2. l

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK that makes sense. F2 means that the oven is getting too hot. This can be caused by either a bad oven sensor or a bad display relay control board. You can't test the board but you can test the sensor. Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. With a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your relay board.

My guess would be that your control board is bad because you said that the top of your food is cooking too fast. This usually means that the oven is sending power to the broil element mounted up against the ceiling when you set the oven to bake and it's not supposed to be on all the time. If that's the case, the control board would need to be replaced to fix that issue.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.