Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

AMANA ABD2533DES My milk chill control slider is icing at

Customer Question

AMANA ABD2533DES

My milk chill control slider is icing at the bottom of the slider. This seems to coincide with the refrigerator not getting cold enough. The fridge is an Amana bottom freezer with the milk chiller in the door of the fridge. I can hold the "flap" open at the back of the fridge and feel cold air blowing. I have taken the back screen wall out of the inside of the freezer and there doesn't seem to be an abnormal amount of ice on the coils. I thawed it out, but that didn't help. The freezer seems to be working fine. Please help! And thank you in advance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

when you say hold the flap open are you talking about the damper ?

Damper 67003903 Main Product View

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The image you provided is correct. If I hold open the damper with my fingers, cold air blows in as expected. It would seem as if the control is not opening the damper as needed. But that doesn't seem to explain the icing on the milk chill control slider...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes thats the issue. you need to replace the damper assembly. You can order this at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper/67003903/1057232?modelNumber=ABD2533DES?RCAID=1000065 This will take care of the issue, its a common problem on these.check around the doors make sure theres no air leak in any of the gaskets. this will cause the frost issue. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could the frost issue be caused by evaporation from vegetables in the high humidity drawer directly behind the milk slider?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes thats a possibility also. if theres any moisture in the refrigerator section that would cause it. when the damper is replaced that may take care of the issue because the refrigerator will be keeping the correct temp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more concern, please. If I leave the fridge door open, the damper will eventually open and somewhat cool down the fridge. Do I need to get a thermometer that will check refrigerator temp before I purchase the damper? Thanks very much for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmm okay so the damper will open fully and stay open while the doors open ? Yes get a thermometer to put inside the refrigerator to check the temp. you may have a thermistor problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Corrrect.. I held the door open for a minute or so, and I could hear the damper motor running and then the damper opened. It has been 5 minutes or so and the damper is still open. I will get the thermometer shortly. What temp should it be? It has a digital setting from 1 to 7.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
set the dial at half way 31/2 to 4, the temp should be between 34-37 degrees,depending on how cold you like things.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even stranger, now the damper started working again. I wonder if it was "stuck" or something. Temp is now back in the high 30's set on 5, the frost is gone, and it seems to be working fine. So if the damper fails to open again, I should replace the damper assembly, right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats correct. it actually may have been frozen. if it acts up again I would replace the damper assembly.thanks and best wishes, Bryan