Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

our frost proof freezer is frozen up and has stopped freezing

Customer Question

our frost proof freezer is frozen up and has stopped freezing our food. We emptied the contents, kept the door open, and unplugged the device...hoping to thaw it out quicker...is it going to be alright?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Where exactly did you see the frost build up inside the freezer?

And do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the frost is building up in the back along the vents that run along the bottom back wall of the freezer...the model number is glrt13teb4

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
OK so that means that the unit is definitely not defrosting on it's own. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it to test any electronics by chance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I believe that we do. My husband is an inspector

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
OK perfect. So you are correct that you definitely have a defrost problem, but there is really no way to test the timer to make sure the timer is working because you can't watch it for 12 hours and make sure it's counting down on it's own and going into the defrost cycle. That being said, there are 3 possibilities that can cause the problem--the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat, and the defrost timer. You can actually test the thermostat and the heater if you have a multimeter. To do this, pull everything out of the freezer and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back panel to access the defrost heater running under the bottom of the silver evaporator coils (where all the frost is building up). Unplug the heater and test continuity. You should have between 5 and 30 ohms if the heater is good. The defrost thermostat is the quarter sized round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. Unplug and test continuity through this part. You should have between 0.1 and 1 ohm resistance through the defrost thermostat if it's good. If either one of them doesn't have continuity, replace the part. If they both test good, you'd need to order and replace the defrost timer because that's the only part you can't test for certain.

Just as a general reference, the defrost thermostat is usually the part that fails which is part number 5303918202. Below is a link to the defrost thermostat since that is the likely part you'd need to replace.

CLICK HERE

Now I did want to say that if you unplug the unit and let it thaw out or remove the back panel and use a hair dryer to thaw out all the frost quicker, it will work for a week or two, but the frost will build up again if you don't replace the defective part.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?