Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an Amana Refrigerator with bottom freezer model ARB8057CB.

I have an Amana Refrigerator with bottom freezer model ARB8057CB. The defroster is not functioning, but the mechanical timer seems to work (tested with voltmeter). Is it possible to replace the defroster coil?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are correct that you definitely have a defrost problem, but there is really no way to test the timer to make sure the timer is working because you can't watch it for 12 hours and make sure it's counting down on it's own and going into the defrost cycle. That being said, there are 3 possibilities that can cause the problem--the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat, and the defrost timer. You can actually test the thermostat and the heater if you have a multimeter. To do this, pull everything out of the freezer and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the back panel to access the defrost heater running under the bottom of the silver evaporator coils (where all the frost is building up). Unplug the heater and test continuity. You should have between 5 and 30 ohms if the heater is good. The defrost thermostat is the quarter sized round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. Unplug and test continuity through this part. You should have between 0.1 and 1 ohm resistance through the defrost thermostat if it's good. If either one of them doesn't have continuity, replace the part. If they both test good, you'd need to order and replace the defrost timer because that's the only part you can't test for certain.

Just as a general reference, the defrost thermostat is usually the part that fails which is part number 12001937.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you recommend a source for the heater, the thermostat, and the timer?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I generally recommend Repairclinic.com. Below is a link to each part so you can order it if you want.

CLICK HERE for defrost heater

CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat

CLICK HERE for defrost timer

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So it is the thermostat. It stays open so it doesn't allow heater to power on. The heater is 30 ohm. Thanks for the help

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and yes, just replace that thermostat and you should be good to go again.