Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

the washer agitates during the spin cycle

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you and see what could cause the washer to agitate during the spin cycle?

Also, is the washer spinning and agitating at the same time or just agitating instead of spinning? Is the water draining normally?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kenmoor Elite #110.26942500 washer is agitating while in the spin cycle;water is draning normally the clutch feels strong

OK so this is a big problem I'm afraid. The motor is definitely changing directions because the water is draining out which happens when the motor changes directions (as it should during spin). But unfortunately, the transmission is responsible for doing everything else. The transmission isn't dropping out of agitate and engaging spin, so the transmission itself would need to be replaced.

Just for reference, if the clutch was bad it wouldn't affect the agitator at all. The clutch will slip when it goes bad and the tub will not spin as fast as it should during the spin cycle---that is all it affects.

Either way, below is a link to the transmission you'll need to order and replace and there is a video at the bottom of the link that shows you how to replace the part if you wanted to try to do it yourself.

CLICK HERE for transmission

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Doc, Had another transmission and put a new clutch on it. When I reinstall it, it is stopping short by a quarter inch. This has happened several times before. What do I keep hiting ????

The brake is hitting the clutch liner. You need to squeeze the clutch liner spring and rotate it about 90 degrees so it doesn't hit the bottom of the brake.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

everything looks good runs good. We both earned our money. Thanks again.

Not a problem and I glad I could help.