Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Advantium 120 is giving me a "door open" mesage when

My GE Advantium 120 is giving me a "door open" mesage when i try to use it. And the light and turntable run when the door is closed. I assume a board has failed, any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Actually it's unlikely that the control board has failed. Both the display saying "door open" and the light and turntable turning on when the door is closed is indicative of one of the 3 door switches failing. Below is a diagram which shows the door switches that are in question. I have circled in red the 3 switches.

graphic
If you have a multimeter, you can un-install the entire microwave and remove the top panel to test the switches when you open and close the door to see if one of the switches isn't working. Two of the switches will likely work normally but one of them is likely going to be stuck open or closed and it needs to be replaced to fix this issue. If for some reason all 3 switches check good, you'd need to replace the control board because it's just not reading the door switches properly.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the switches. All were OK. I did find that one of the latch springs had broken. I am assuming that was the cause of the door error. I will order a new spring and hope the other problems go away when the latch is fixed.

Aye, if the spring is broken, that will cause the door latch to not trigger the switch properly so that should fix the issue once you replace the spring.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.'