Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a 1994 GE Monogram refrigerator. Model number is XXXXX

I have a 1994 GE Monogram refrigerator. Model number is XXXXX I have a defective defrost current sensor; but according to my local repair man the refrigerator does defrost and he can see the current flowing properly. The "DE" symbol comes on about every four days. He couldn't find a sensor to replace mine. So, I just reset if when the "de" light comes on by turning off the refrigerator and then turning it back on. I don't want to replace my refrig; but I need to find this sensor. Any help or ideas?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the defrost thermostat sensor is part number WR50X45 and below is a link to the part if you needed to order it.

For this model, there are no other sensors, only the heating element and the defrost timer. All these parts are available so if you need the timer it's part number WR9X502 and the heater is WR51X322

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my other note?

I did not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not think that is the correct part. The part is called a "defrost current sensor" and is listed as part WR23X0319 on the electrical schematic that came with the refrigerator. My repairman said the thermostat and the timer are both OK. The "de" light comes on because the sensor does not detect any current running to the defrost heater.

There is nothing you can replace that sensor I'm afraid. But that being said, the DE error won't actually stop the refrigerator from working if that sensor was bad. The unit should continue to work like normal even if the sensor is bad, the error will just appear on the display is all. So you should be able to still use the refrigerator like normal and just ignore the DE error that comes up if the sensor really is the problem. If it stops working, then it's not your problem and one fo the 3 parts I mentioned before is your problem.

I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I think I'm just resolved to let the "de: light blink for the next few years. I haven't heard anything from that other company I found that think they have a replacement part. thanks for your help and good luck to you.

Alright, not a problem and I wish there were a replacement part, but if it still runs and you're just getting the blinking "DE", there definitely could be worse things that could have happened.