Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

trying to replace

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the duct assembly (where the lint filter slides in) for the Kenmore Model 417.89870100 stackable washer/dryer. There are two screws on the outside; however the assembly does not release. I usually am pretty handy... but can not figure out how to remove the old assembly and install the new one. Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There are a few parts to the ducting, but I think the part you're trying to replace is the part that you actually see when you open the door and look inside the drum toward the front of the drum. That being said, this is a stack unit and not easy to work on. There are 2 screws on the outside that you need to remove, but there are others coming from inside the duct that you also need to remove which means the front panel will need to be removed. Remove the angled panel between the washer and dryer and then remove all the screws going into the top panel and remove the top panel above the dryer. Unplug the dryer. Remove the screws going into the control panel and the control panel will pull off. Now you might be able to access the screws holding the duct in at this point but if not, then you need to remove the screws at the bottom of the front panel as well as the screws coming from the inside of the dryer in the upper right and left corners of the front panel. Now the front panel will pull off and you can remove the duct assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am waiting for the part and when I get it, I will remove the old part as per your instructions. Should have it by Friday. Is reversing the procedure the way to install the new assembly? I put this as a low priority, so I can not sign off until I have tried the procedure.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok that's fine. And yes, reversing the procedure is really the only thing you need to do to re-assemble the dryer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I reach you when I get the assembly?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You just post back on this same question as you are doing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still have not received the parts as of yet to see if the instructions are clear.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the parts late this afternoon. Will try to remove old parts and reinstall new ones tomorrow... will write if I have a problem. Thank you for your patience. Gil

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck. Thank you for keeping me updated.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK... took out the 2 screws from the top, took out the 2 screws from the panel from the dryer to the clothes washer.... but the panel will not come off. Do not see any other screws holding the panel. . The left side as you look at it is loose, but not the right. Help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
What panel are you trying to remove exactly? I'm not sure what you're even doing at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it off... did not realize that I had to remove the magnet assembly.
Will keep you posted.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am now at the sheet metal facing that is under the lip of the bottom of the dryer. I can not remove the sheet metal facing that has a cutout so you can see the exhaust hose but not the part I am trying to replace.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Correct, that's because you need to remove the entire front panel of the dryer. Remove the angled panel between the washer and dryer and then remove all the screws going into the top panel and remove the top panel above the dryer. Unplug the dryer. Remove the screws going into the control panel and the control panel will pull off. Then you need to remove the screws at the bottom of the front panel as well as the screws coming from the inside of the dryer in the upper right and left corners of the front panel. Now the front panel will pull off and you can remove the duct assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Took out every screw in the sheet metal facing covering the left side of
the dryer and can not remove the sheet metal. Do I need an hex wrench for the inside screw going into the old assembly?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I'm not there so I wouldn't be able to give exact spefics as to what types of screws you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if you received my response, I sent a reply through email by mistake. I have the top off and it is unplugged from the wall. I am not sure as to whether or not to take the metal trim from the face of the dryer or not, and secondly, the removal and unpluging of the control unit. is not obvious.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So I'm going to opt out and if someone else feels they can help you they will pick the question up. The questions you are asking are much too speific for a general guidance through the process. Everyone should know their limits, but I believe you are going to need a technician to come out and perform this task based on the questions your asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First, the control unit is for both washer and dryer. Secondly, there is no way that the sheet metal facing comes off the way you are suggesting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright well I do wish you the best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not believe you are familiar with this particular unit.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I am, but you may need a little more than help guidance I'm afraid. have a nice day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I now have the panel off that goes between the dryer and washer. I have also removed the screws from the sheet metal(insulation part #140589-000) that holds the circular lint exhaust that goes to the outside of the unit.

I did not remove this part since I would have to force it, and I thought it prudent to wait for specific instructions.

I am usually fairly efficient in repairing things, such as cars and computers... but not this kind of unit.

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michelle:

The problem is that this particular unit is not generic as to how to replace the part.

The unit is not as the consultant described, ie: the control module is an all in one module for the washer and dryer. He told me to take off the top lid and remove the dryer control unit to get to the part; which does not make sense. I alluded to the metal trim holding the sheet metal insulation piece from coming out and that is when he opted out.

I am willing to wait until Thursday, however, after that I will call Sears for a recommendation.

I am a bit taken back that there are no technicians with Just Answer that know the model in question.

Thank you for your response.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can you post a picture of what you have removed, I am a retired SEARS tech?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Certainly, I am not concerned about paying. I am just a bit disappointed in the answers. I can give you the parts numbers of what i have removed. Briefly described ... I removed the elbow black 18" lint exhaust and clamp, the facing panel between the washer and the dryer and have removed the screws from the insulation sheet metal part ##140589-000 which I can not remove without forcing it.

Thank you for responding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure as to how to post a picture .. but will shoot it, upload it to my computer and attach it here. This may take some time.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Give me about 30 minutes, I will see if I have a video of what you want to do..
You can attach a picture by using the paper clip icon on the toolbar

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need the picture?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It would help me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK ... just finished..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did it work?.. usually I can see the upload.... but not with this software from Just Answer.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It is not there, post it to one of the free picture posting website and send me a link to it..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I just send it to an email address? I have not problem when I do this with my email. Or can I send it to Just Answer?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes send it to JUst Answers and they will post it for me, It may take 10 minutes before I see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did not transfer because it was over 10 mb. Sent it to just answer. Do you want me to reduce the size of the pix and resend them?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes please reduce the size

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sent to Just Answer and trying to resend to your directly.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just out of curiosity... do I have to answer the questions as to allignment, size, baseline, etc.?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you are exactly talking about on alignment and size and such..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When one tries to upload a pix... a menu appears asking for the size, etc.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
2 of the pics have came through so far, how many did you send?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the 3rd pic? If you didn't, please let me know. Thank you. Gil

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
3rd pic did not come through

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the pix from Just Answer or from me? Which pix did you get.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The one from just answers that you sent in, it said 3, I only got the first 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK ... will send again. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know when you get the pix. I resent them thru Just Answer. Can not understand why all 3 did not go through. I sent all 3 because I was not sure which one you did not receive.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I received all 3 pics, the question is, the black hose is not even what belongs on the unit, somebody modified it for this hose...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The black elbow was inside the unit and attached to the sheet metal(insulation part #140589-000) . I believe the explosion drawing shows that part,

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I never realised how old this unit is? THat would explain why I can't find no info on your unit, I am sorry, I have no info availablefor this old unit...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does that mean you can not help me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems to still be active in that Sears carries the parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back.. Did some research and it was made by Kelvinator about 12 years ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you can help. I thought the model number is XXXXX my request ticket.. that is how I found out it was manufactured by Kelvinator.I really need to know by tomorrow. Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, Are you trying to replace this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES, PLEASE...This has been difficult. I feel as though I am stupid.

Gil

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no your not, these are a nightmare, lets see if I can help. first how far are you in removing this ?you say somewhere that the plastic part is connected somewhere and you cant pull it out ? Its been a long thread and I need to find out where your problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you see the photos I sent to the previous technician? I removed the face plate between the dryer and the washer. Removed the elbow of the lint exause held by a clamp. Removed the screws of the insulation sheet metal (part#140589) whcih I can not remove. I do not want to force it, however, I can not figure out how to remove it to get to the screws that hold the broken part (the one that you pictured).

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I just looked at the pictures, can you send one of the front of the dryer from a little further back ? I cant see everything on that picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will be about twenty minutes. When I do an attachment with the paper clip, do I have to fill out baseline, vertical size, etc.?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well I would like to see the whole front of the dryer section. I know you have to have this done by tonight you said, I have to go out for about an hour at 1030 but will look when I return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem ... thank you. Just to be sure.... will send it directly and through Just Answer

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hope this is OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know when you receive the pix ... thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
It didn't come through, let me ask you do you have the whole front dryer panel off or loose. including the screws around the top. ? graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just the front panel from the dryer to the washer

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay and the ones behind the control panel right ? so the front is loose and when you try to maneuver the front out with the duct assembly you can get it by the metal shield part in the front ? I'm sorry but i am working from behind here.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

!

/

!

% 

$ # 

graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mine does not look like that .... it has a hole where the magnet holds the wash lid and there are no rivets... just screws. Just popped off the trim and see more screws...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay the screws you need to take them out and remove the access panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay.... will do that and notify you if I encounter more problems. Did not know that the trim popped off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes that comes off and gives you access to the blower assembly, now we are getting somewhere ! Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are 2 screws with washers that hold the trim on the bottom of the sides.... can not get my Phillips into them... I have to go and get an L shaped Phillips to remove them. Do I have to remove the top of the dryer as well?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
actually yes you will need a L shaped screw driver for that they are close to the top of the washer, you don't need to remove the top of the dryer the fronts already loose. a word of caution when you finish removing that heat shield the front is going to come right off with the duct you need to change so have someone hang onto it so it doesn't fall and hit you. once you get that panel off the rest is easy ! good job, thanks and please rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. you can come back if you have any other question even after you rate me but I know you will have this easy now ! thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't feel that confident. Too many obtacles. Just what screws do I have to remove after I remove to 2 bottom ones? Could you please hang in there once in a while until I finish. Will give you a great rating. Thank you. Gil

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh ya I'm going to be here don't worry, Smile believe me you will see it will be easy after the panel is removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope I don't have to remove the control panel or the screws on the top of the unit. Could you tell me just which screws I have to remove. Do I have to remove the front panel around the door?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
that whole thing is one piece as far as the door goes, the control panel doe have to be removed, there are small screws that hold that. once the screws for the control panel are removed slide it down and off then unplug the harness, graphic let go one step at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not see any small screws for the control panel.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay do you see these ones graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No... I just got the bottom screws out. I still have not removed the top of the panel around the door.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I got your picture, theres silver trim around the outside of your whole panel , these need to come off and there are screws behind them. they snap off. use a thin screwdriver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am way beyond that...I have all the screws off on the side and it seems as though the whole dryer is moving. but can not get the side facing metal part (#140589=000) or the front facing sheet metal that the magnet screws into, off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I really would love to help more. I just don't know how to explain this any better on line unfortunately. I cant for the life of me see why you cant get that panel off. I'll opt out and hopefully i got you far enough that someone else can finish. I'm sorry. this is very frustrating I know. good luck and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying... the insert picture does not seem to be my model.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome have a great day and well wishes. Bryan