Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

We have a GE Profile bottom freezer - Model # XXXXX

Customer Question

We have a GE Profile bottom freezer - Model # XXXXX given to us by a friend as our second refrigerator. We put the fridge in our garage (we live in NJ) so it's not a controlled temperature environment. During transit to our home the plug "punctured" the motherboard when we loaded it on a truck so we had to replace the Control Panel because it wouldn't even turn on when plugged in. This was in February so our garage was probably around 30 degrees. In April when it started to warm up in NJ, we noticed that the refrigerator was not cooling down, it was registering around 50 degrees. The freezer was working fine. We had the repairman come out again and he replaced the refrigerator Thermister in the top part of the unit and told us we need to move the fridge to a controlled environment because the newer models are not made for garages. So we moved the fridge this past weekend (April 27th) to the basement, which is a constant 65 degrees. Refrigerator temperature is still registering around 55 degrees and the freezer is 0 so that's at least working. Repair was here again yesterday and replace the bottom thermister (not the freezer one). According to the guy, he said there are 2 thermisters that control the refrigerator and 1 that controls the freezer. So I checked it again today and it's still showing 55 degrees. We have a thermometer just placed in the fridge. The freezer is still working fine. I called the repairman again today and he said he doesn't know what else to do and that I should contact GE. I've already put $650 into a "free" refrigerator and I'm not willing to spend much more on it before I scrap it. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Check the floor under the drawers. Is there any frost on that floor near the back wall? The very smallest bit?

Also who installed the circuit board?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frost at all, clean as a whistle. The repairman installed the control panel and both thermistors.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Michelle I need you to unplug the refrigerator and I need to know because GE uses general diagrams, sometimes they are not exact. The part numbers will be but lets say there are 15 models that are the style of bottom freezer you have. They will use one diagram.

What I need to know is on the back is your board mounted horzontally or vertically? I will be sending a picture and I want to orient my picture to the way yours is mounted to avoid confusion.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband isn't home right now and I can't move the fridge alone. I have a model # XXXXX would that help? RF043660.

My husband should be home by 4:00 EST.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I will be here, be sure to contact me I know what is wrong but I have to send a correctly oriented picture to you. If I were to just send it there may be some confusion and I want to avoid that. The model will show me diagrams but sometimes the orientation of the board is wrong on the diagrams. I want to be sure we get it right the first time.

Make a post I will see it. I take a lot of 5 minute breaks but I will not miss you by more than that. Save this page to your favorites.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay - thanks. I'll find out what time he will be home. If he's delayed and comes home after 5:00, then I'll have to contact you tomorrow because I won't be back until after 8:00 pm.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That is okay, I often work later than 8pm most times until around 9:30 EST. If its before then give me a shout, I will stay up and work with you.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay - thanks. I just spoke to my husband and he said he should be home around 4:30. If it's any later than we'll try to catch up with you when I get home later Thanks again.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, thank you for the opportunity and see you and your husband then.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry - it's Michele. I got back earlier than expected. My husband moved the fridge and the control panel is vertical.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok just a second I am getting a picture.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the refrigerator, remove the cover. Ignore the red arrow in the picture but look at the blue arrow. At that connector number one is the very first hole on the left,,,not wire the hole. Number two is right beside of it. Cut that number two wire, cut it long so that some is sticking out then tape it with electrical tape at both ends,. Plug it in and turn it on, it should then cool.

One last thing if it does you should be able to recoup some of your loss on un-needed repair's. The very first guy who installed that board should have known to do that, there is a list that GE sends out about that boards installation for all the different methods depending on the model every month.

If you have any questions use the reply to expert link and please let me know. If not please rate my answer when you are ready.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry - the issue was resolved and the refrigerator started cooling immediately. Thank you !!!! Just so you know, I spoke to the owner of the repair company and he told me that we should not have cut the wire and that he stands by what they did - it was working when his repair tech left, which it definitely was not. The conversation got really ugly and he ended up yelling at me telling me I was trying to tell him how to do his job. All I asked was if the control panel that they replaced could have been defective and he said absolutely not, which I also know is not true. I spent over 3 hours on the phone this morning with GE - got a serious run around. I was trying to find out if the board that was replaced needed to be modified since the original board is no longer available. No one could tell me this answer. Anyway, just wanted to let you know the outcome, which is that I'm technically out $340 for unnecessary labor and parts. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB. Thanks again.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hey Michelle, thats all incorrect information and I can back it up. Had I not been trained by GE I would not have known. That persons people are lacking in the training or information they are receiving. That guy is all wrong, bad wrong.

Looky, I really appreciate your business. All of us here at JA do. Thank you for trusting in us. We do care about our customers and I am so glad to hear its working for you.

Oh one more thing, there will probably be a survey coming. One thing you could do for me is fill it out please. It really matters.

Thank you so much,
Barry

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much,
Barry