Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

fridge not cooling.. Dont hear compressor cycling. Is it time

fridge not cooling.. Don't hear compressor cycling. Is it time for a new one or can I fix it with a new compressor.?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Touch the compressor on the top is it hot or cool and is it vibrating?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no vibration at all. When it used to come on it would juggle the glass I have on top of it. With this not happening anymore, I thought I had a problem so I checked it out.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

Put your hand on the top of it, is it too hot to hold your hand on?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can feel a slight vibration, but it is not too hot to hold hand on.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. Take a look inside the freezer at the lower rear wall. Is there frost on that wall? Also is the fan inside the freezer blowing a little air out of the vents inside there?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frost on back wall; very little air; not enough to talk about.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
If there is no frost and the fans are operating along with the compressor which it is, you can tell that by the vibration the coolant has leaked out. The reason its not jarring the glass anymore when it starts is because it does not kick without coolant. It is pretty much freewheeling when it starts because there is no load.

Its hard for me to be absolutely accurate as to where the leak would be. I can tell you that the most common place for a leak to be is in the coils behind the rear wall of the freezer and this would also be the most expensive repair for a leak. That part online is $195. Now I am not saying that is the only place you could have a leak but the most common. You have to replace that part, it is aluminum and cannot be sealed with a torch. So the labor here at my shop to put that part in or repair any other leak even if you needed no parts would be $475. Different shops have different prices. Even right down the road from me.

That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not. If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.