Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Whirlpool Duet front loader washer, 2.5 yrs old.

We have a Whirlpool Duet front loader washer, 2.5 yrs old. It kicks off in the final rinse before it is all the way emptied out. We have had the repair man come, he cleaned out the pump. That did not solve the problem.
Sometimes the washer works, sometimes it just sits there ( during final rinse/spin) and "growls", then finally starts beeping that something is wrong. I thought at first maybe it was because I had too heavy of a load in , but it does not seem to matter the size of the load.
There is no display panel on the front that tells the problem.
I often will run it through an extra rinse cycle and then it will finish. Now I am doing it 4,5, 6 times to get a load to finish. I do not have a "spin only" option on my machine.
Can you help me? My husband is very good at repairs. He has cleaned the pump again, but it did not help either. Any ideas? This is my 2nd washer in 5 years! My very first one I had for 28! Wish I had it back!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you and see what might be causing the issue? Also, does your duet have a display on it or just indicator lights?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it does not have a display, only indicator lights. I am working on getting the model number.

OK perfect, thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model number WFW9150WW01. My husband just changed the spin speed to medium and got it finish ( this was the 3rd time of trying to get it to finish)

OK perfect, thank you for that added information. Please follow the directions below as this will pull up your error code. Tell me how many times the WASH indicator light flashes and that will tell me what error you're getting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wash button flashed 9 times

OK so that is definitely a drain error. You'll want to check the drain catch again and make sure everything is clear. If so, then check the hose between the drain pump and the tub to make sure everything is clear. If everything checks good, you'd need to order and replace the drain pump because it's just not creating the pressure needed to drain the water out properly all the time I'm afraid to say. Below is a link to the drain pump assembly which comes with the drain catch below the tub. I'm really sorry about the bad news on a washer that is still so new.

CLICK HERE for part

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have advice on cleaning the hose and tub better? Should he take it off, releasing the clamp?

He has cleaned the pump and checked the hose the best he could...

IF we purchase the new pump, will it have good instructions in it or will you tell us how to replace it?

I would have to be a rather large clog (like a sock or something like that) to cause a drain error since the hoses are so large in diameter. So if you just remove one of the clamps on the hose and make sure it's not plugged up, that's all that you need to do to make sure you don't have a clog.

The pump does not come with instructions, but it's all very straight forward if you know how to access the drain catch already. You just unplug the washer and disconnect the 2 clamps attaching the 2 hoses to the drain pump. Then pry up witha flat head screwdriver on the black rubber/plastic right foot of the pump and the entire pump should slide to the right and pull up and out for replacement.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. We have checked for the new part... it looks different from the picture than the one we have. It may just be the view.

I wondered if the pump from a duet sport would be interchangable with this one.

That one is only 5 years old. ( It is my washer that I purchased- it was a lemon from the start, and the guy said it would cost almost as much to fix it as replace it). I still have the washer out in a shed all in pieces.

The one in the link is the only replacement part listed for your model. I looked it up using your model number. So perhaps it has changed slightly---but it's definitely the part you need to order for your model.