Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

kitchenaid superba gas range. bottom igniter was bad. switched

kitchenaid superba gas range. bottom igniter was bad. switched with top igniter. Now neither one lights up. hot to test if probelem is at valve or panel? thanks

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, do you have a volt meter ? you need to test the thermal fuse. Thermal Fuse 341196          Main Product View first thing. sometimes when the igniter shorts it can blow the thermal fuse. bare with me I'm looking for a diagram to show you its location. usually these are on the back of the range.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I have a meter. I checked continuity on the gas safety valve. there is continuity. looking for the thermal fuse

okay I'm still trying to find that on the diagrams. one parts site says it has one but I can find it on the diagrams yet.
this is number 22 on this diagram but it doesn't really show where its located exactly. look like under the top though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess I'll have to open the panel to see if it's there. Will do so. In the meanwhile I tested the voltage at valve. I get no voltage whatsoever at the leads. Is this consistent with a bad fuse?

yes it is consistent with a bad fuse.
I'm not sure if the thermostat I showed you in the diagram is the correct one, they show more that one. usually the one for the bake and broils is on the back of the range. I would look there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My responses about the thermal fuses below the panel did not seem to register in the thread. Did you see them? thanks.

no I haven't seen them unfortunately, what did you find ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are two thermal fuses under the panel. they both have conyiuity.

I can't seem to be able to upload pics.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cant upload pics. sending lik to pic instead

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocl5r6qlp1b9ams/20130501_103806.jpg

I think the one for the oven may be on the back of the range. can you check there ? If the ones you found have continuity there good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am looking everywhere in the back and around the oven where presumable gets hot. so far I don't see any other thermal fuses. still looking

okay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is the back with the panel removed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7vx3qvfjo4v16a/20130501_112151.jpg

I have run out of places to look. Don't see any removable panels.

it looks like theres a wire hanging loose at the bottom, did you remove that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes those are the wires going from the igniter to the gas safety valve. I remove the to check continuity at the valve leads and to check for voltage at the valve. Will connect them again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

any other ideas as to where the fuse is? maybe this model does not have a thermal fuse? May be it is controlled by the thermostat probe?

yes sometimes they don't have thermal cutouts. and its hard to tell try putting the igniter back up in the broils and see if that lights

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Neither igniter lights up. either there is a blown fuse (which we can't find) or there is a discontinuity somewhere.

do you hear the relays on the board click when you press start ? for bake or broil ? you should hear a slight click comming from the control board.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hear a very slight click, more like a snap. very faint but consistently from the panel when I start bak, not sre when I start broil.

okay.well that means the control is at least sending power to the relay. from there the relay sends power to the bake or broil . on the back of the control board you will see the relays and they say bake,broil , ect. trace the wiring and check power from the board at the board. if you don't get power out from the board itself the control has failed, The thing that bothers me is the broil worked before you took the igniter out and tried it in the bake. I still think theres a thermal fuse in there somewhere.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I got blocked in the middle of the thread because my credit card invalidated the transaction because they found some suspicious activity. So I spent all this time troubleshooting that problem. I am back on the thread now. Sorry for the interruption. Are you still on? Will look at the power on the control panel now.

yes I'm still here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, while messing at the control panel I managed to break one of the thermal fuses plastic support. (I think it still works because has continuity) and I also managed to trip the main breaker to the range. I think everything is back to where it was before, but I have obviously reached my ability to deal with this problem. I will call a service tech to come and fix it.

I want to thank you for your help. I learned a lot anyway.

-fulvio

okay I'm sorry, I don't want to tell you to replace any expensive parts if we are not sure. sometimes these things can be a nightmare.well wishes and good luck , Bryan