Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Samsung Side by Side ice maker periodically stops making

My Samsung Side by Side ice maker periodically stops making ice. Most recently we cannot get it going again. There are cubes in the tray but it will not dump.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it's possible that your icemaker is just beginning to fail and not cycling on it's own, or it's possible that the ice is jamming the tray from rotating properly. Thaw out the icemaker with a hair dryer to make sure that there is no ice preventing it from functioning properly. If you press and hold the test button after that, it will dump the ice/water (have a bucket to catch the ice and water you were thawing) and begin to fill back up again. If it won't cycle on it's own in the next 24 hours, you'll need a new icemaker. Below is a link to the icemaker you'll need to order and replace to fix the issue.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try the defrost. Please confirm that I did NOT sign up for continuing charges to my credit card.. If I have to replace ice maker, will I still be charged $50.00 for your response?

You are correct that you did not sign up for a subscription. But yes, the payment is for this session of help and I wish everything could be fixed with a reset button, but in the the appliance repair field, often times parts are needed to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Waiting to see if your suggestion fixes problem. I intend to tell Sears that I will never buy another appliance from them, due to their forcing me to go thru your service before they would talk to me. This has nothing to do with your service. I will rate you, once I determine if your suggestion fixed the problem. If it did not, my rating will be very poor.

The concept that I pay $50.00 to be told that I need service from Sears is very disturbing.

Alright sounds good. Unfortunately I hope you understand that we can not control what parts are needed to fix the problem. You certainly don't need to call for service if you wanted to replace the part yourself, but everyone has limitations and you should know what your capable of doing yourself. If I could put a reset button on every problem, I would---it would make everyone happier. That is obviously not within my power.