Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Whirlpool ref. ice maker not working.

Whirlpool ref. ice maker not working.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the freezer, are the fingers of your ice maker pointing to the right and just above level?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fingers are in position all is clear no obstacles I can see .what next.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the refrigerator you will see a semi clear plastic tube on the rear wall. Follow that tube down to the panel near the floor where it connects and disconnect it. Have the ice maker turned off with the bar lifted. Then remove that tube.

Once you have the tube removed see if you can blow through it. If you cannot there is a water fill tube inside the freezer just behind the ice maker. Loosen the top 2 screws over the ice maker and remove the one underneath the ice maker that hold it on the wall. You can then lift the ice maker off from the top 2 screws. There you will see that tube. Thaw the ice out of it. If it happens to clog again in the next few weeks replace the inlet valve, its leaking.

If the tube is clear replace the water inlet valve. The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. One side is for the ice maker and one side is for the dispenser. Its a dual valve in one body. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically. I have linked your inlet valve below.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.