Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Dishwasher is 15 year old KitchenAid. We dont hear much sound

Dishwasher is 15 year old KitchenAid. We don't hear much sound when it is turned on though it cycles through the lights that say “Wash, Rinse, Dry and Clean”. When it is done we have standing water in the bottom, high enough that I think the float switch is engaged. It does not drain, even over night.

I disconnected the drain hose underneath and the dishwasher drained quickly, so I don’t think the filters in the bottom of the dishwasher were clogged. Then I disconnected the drain line from there to the point it ties into the waste lines in the basement. They are all clear. I think my waste lines in the basement are clear because other things that drain into them have no problem.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When the washer should be draining or washing, do you hear the motor humming / running at all? Or is everything completely silent?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't hear the motor running. Little if any noise at all.

OK so this means that you either have a bad motor or a bad control board. You'll need to remove the kick panel below the door and locate the 4 wires going to the pump motor. The color wires are "red, yellow, blue, and grey". Turn the dishwasher onto wash and when it should be washing, you'll need a multimeter to test power between yellow and grey. If you don't have 120 volts, then you need a new control board. If you do have 120 volts, then you'll need a new pump motor. Neither option is inexpensive unfortunately, but those are the options which would cause this problem I'm afraid to say.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IN order to check the drain lines, I disconnected the water to the dishwasher , pulled it out and disconnected the drain lines. I could easily flip on the breaker, close the door, and turn it on.

I do have red, yellow, blue and gray wires. I'm not sure I have a multimeter. I have a device I use as a battery checker which I can switch to several AC V and DC V modes. Is this a multimeter? I assume I would switch it to AC mode. 10, 50, 250 or 500?

On a 15 year of dishwasher, it this the kind of thing that calls for replacement?

yes, that is a multimeter. And you'll want to switch it to AC mode for testing. On this particular model, it appears that the motor is no longer made and the control board is about $170 for the part, so it might be better to just replace the dishwasher, but that's completely up to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do ! put the multtimeter on 10 AC V?

My options are 10, 50, 250, 500

No, you're testing for 120 volts so you'd set it to 250 volts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Before I got your reply, I turned the dishwasher on (with no water or drain hook-up) and tried the multimeter at 10 and got no reading. I just tried it at 250 and still got no reading.

With do water or drain connected, does this still mean the control panel is bad?

That is correct, you'd need to replace the control board I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Considering the age of the dishwasher, I think we'll replace it.

not a problem. I'm sorry about the bad news but I do wish you only the best.