Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Bosch (model#SHU3322UC/12) dishwasher. Lately, the

I have a Bosch (model#SHU3322UC/12) dishwasher. Lately, the dishes have not come out clean, and they are only warm, not hot after the cycle finishes. I think it's the water heater in the unit, but am unsure. I need to know if this is the problem and step by step directions on how to change it.

Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you're correct about what the problem is, but not waht is causing the problem. The heater rarely if ever fails on this unit. In fact, I've never actually seen the heater stop working, only start leaking which is the only reason I've ever had to replace the heater assembly. Unfortunately this is a very common issue and it means that your control board inside the door has failed. There is a relay on the board that shorts out. This relay sends power to the heater, so when it fails the dishwasher doesn't wash well and it will run forever trying to heat the water which will never happen. You may notice that the wash cycle actually takes a really really long time if you pay attention. Either way, the control board on this unit is likely under a recall, but if not, you'd need part number 647474. For recall information call Bosch 1-800-448-2340, Opt. 2 . Be sure to have both the model number and the serical number (starts with FD and is on a sticker on the right side of the door) before calling to see if it'll be covered under a recall. If it's covered, then they will replace the part at no charge.

If it's not covered under a recall then you'd need to order the part and replace it yourself. To access the control board, just open the door and remove all the screws around the border of the door except the 2 down by the bottom of the door hinge, just loosen those two. Once you have those out, remove the 2 coming in from the sides of the control panel (left and right). The control panel will then pull off and you can access the control board inside. Remove the control panel and there are 3 tabs on the bottom of the control board you need to depress. Push on the tabs and remove the control board, then switch over connections one at a time and you should be good to go again.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.