Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

We have a burnt smell coming from two gas appliances - a stove

Customer Question

We have a burnt smell coming from two gas appliances - a stove and a dryer. Smells like combusted gas (kind of like exhaust). This just started over the weekend, but continues today. What could this be and how do we "fix" it? Gas is propane.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 32 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs under my belt.

By any chance have you had any painting ,staining or new flooring done in the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, none of those. Our home is less than two years old.

Humm, ok is it while the appliances are in use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the smell only occurs when the appliances are in use.

If it is not something in the house that the flame is picking and burming in the air it has to be some thing in the gas supply .

Has the propane tank just been filled or getting almost empty ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tank was filled in Fall 2011 and it is about 50% full right now.

On the dryer have you checked the exhaust vent to make sure the vent is clear ?

And also on the dryer where are you smelling this, just on the outside of the dryer when it is running , or after you have opened the door .

And on the stove is it anytime you use the cooktop burners or just the oven?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exhaust vent on the dryer is clear (it's also short, the dryer sits right next to the exhaust wall). The smell only was noticeable when the door was open.

The stove is only a cooktop (sorry for the incorrect terminology) and only smelled when lit.

At this point, we no longer smell the offending odor. There is no odor to speak of anymore.

Chris it could have been an additive in the fuel or could have been something that was brought into the home .

You may not smell that actual odor until it goes thru the flame and then changes chemical state.

That is why I asked about painting and staining or new flooring that does it all the time

with gas appliances.

If it happens again ,just let me know .

Thank you glad to assist you .

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line