Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi. I have a Whirlpool Duet 4.0 cu. ft. washing machine with

Hi. I have a Whirlpool Duet 4.0 cu. ft. washing machine with Tumblefresh. When I try to wash a load, it skips the soak cycle and starts to tumble. After 5 minutes, it stops and beeps LF. Do you know what this means? I don't have the manual, nor can I find it online.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So, the error LF actually means "long fill". Whirlpool uses a flow meter that detects the flow of water entering the washer. If this flow meter does not detect the correct amount of water entering the washer it will sound the "LF" error code. Often this repair can be made with out calling an appliance repairman and without ordering parts. Start by removing the washer fill hoses; both the cold and the hot water hoses. Check for proper water pressure from the house. To do so, turn the water on and put the hose inside the washer or a bucket.

If water pressure is good, check the water valve inlet screens. Most residential washing machines have inlet screens. The screens prevent minerals from clogging the solenoid. With the hoses removed, you can visually inspect the water inlet screens. If the water valve screens are clear the inlet valve with the screens itself will need to be replaced. To replace the water valve, remove the top of the washing machine. Three screws hold the top down. The screws that hold the top down are on the back of the top panel. Once removed the top will slide back and off. Now remove the wire harness that connects to the valve. One screw holds the valve to the washers cabinet. Removing the screw and sliding the valve over will release the valve from the back panel enabling you to complete your repair.

One last thing to check is the fill hoses. These front load washers call for a lot of water quickly. So if you have stainless steel braided flood-safe hoses, they will trip for no reason at all. Replace these flood safe hoses with more traditional hoses. If the hoses are good and you haven't found anything slowing down the flow of the water, your electronic inlet water valve is just faulty on the back of your washer and will need to be replaced because it's just not allowing water flow into the washer correctly.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks for your answer. I have a question and may have more as I go through this.

in your first paragraph, you wrote "Check for proper water pressure from the house. To do so, turn the water on and put the hose inside the washer or a bucket." I rent an apartment but own my washing machine, so I don't have access to my water pressure valve. should I still do this step?

There should be valves on the wall where your fill hoses connect behind the washer. Those are the valves you want to turn off so that you can disconnect the fill hoses from the back of the washer and put the hoses inside a bucket or something. Then you can turn the water on to make sure you ahve good water flow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks. the water pressure is fine.

looking at the valves, there is a plastic circle piece (part of the valve cover) that is covering my view of the valve inlet screens. I can't easily remove this, especially since I can't pull the washer away from the wall on my own. I will have to have a friend come over to do this which won't happen tonight.

You said "If the water valve screens are clear the inlet valve with the screens itself will need to be replaced." If the screens are not clear, does this mean this is the problem and I just need to clean them and put them back?

That plastic cover is the valve screen that I'm talking about. If it's not completely backed up with debris then that isn't your problem.

So that being said, you need to replace the valve to fix this issue. You'll need the model number to order the correct part and the model number is XXXXX on a sticker just inside the door way and can be seen if you open the door.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok they look clear. will do. thank you!

no problem and good luck!