John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have an older Maytag washer (Not sure of age). The Model

Customer Question

We have an older Maytag washer (Not sure of age). The Model # XXXXX XXXXX and the Serial # XXXXX XXXXX
When washing yesterday, the spin cycle broke - motor kept going - heard a load pitched whine first, but the spin stopped working. When we try it on spin the motor smells like it is over heating and it does not spin. Can you suggest what the problem might be and if it is worth repairing? The washer works great but is installed in an awkward spot and we want to know if it is something we could like repair ourselves.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are quite a few possibilities that can cause this problem, but let's narrow down some of the possibilities with a bit more information. When you turn the washer on, does it still agitate on wash? And when the washer is supposed to spin, does it still drain all the water out even though it's not spinning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I just wrote you but not sure it made it...Washer still agitates on wash and it drains before the spin cycle- but it does not spin on the spin cycle - just makes lots of noise (high pitched whine).
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, I didn't get that message until just now. But if the unit still agitates and drains, then that means that the belt is still attached to the transmission and the motor is reversing so it should spin. Tip the washer backwards slightly so you can work underneath. Remove the 2 belts and turn the center pulley both directions a few rotations. Can you turn the center pulley both directions or does it jam up going one direction?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi - My husband isn't here at the moment and he is going ot have to do the heavy lifting on this - he will be back shortly but probably won't get to this till tomorrow morning - is that okay?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
that's fine, just let me know what you find when you can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
not a problem.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?