Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Amana ARB2217CW is not cooling frige section. We have completely

Amana ARB2217CW is not cooling frige section. We have completely cleaned out under it. condenser and evaporator fans are running. coils behind freezer section frozen over, defrosted and 2 days later, same issue. auto defrost timer fault, defrost heater faulty? where should I start
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are correct, it sounds like your unit is not defrosting on it's own. You'll need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and use a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat. The thermostat is a 1" round device with 2 wires going to it clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. If you don't have continuity through the heater or the thermostat, you'll need to replace the part. If both parts have continuity, you'll need to order andr eplace the defrost timer control which is mounted in the control panel up inside the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is the continuity suppose to read in the thermostat? any continuity or none? Do I replace the both the heater and thermostat if I don't continutity on 1 or both?

The thermostat and heating element should BOTH have continuity. The heater will be something like 5-30 ohms. The thermostat should have between 0.1 ohms and 1.0 ohms.

Whatever part does not have continuity is the part you need to replace.