Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

We have a GXSH39E01 GE Smartwater softener. We have salt in

Customer Question

We have a GXSH39E01 GE Smartwater softener. We have salt in the machine, but it shows 0 days. I have emptied most of the salt out to see if I have Salt bridge. The bottom has wet salt that is crushed like sand. Is this okay. The machine was installed in the fall of 2005. The control panel doesn't seem to work well as I push the button and it doesn't move.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

Sorry for the delay in answering you, I have just come on line to see your question.

Jon :

Which is actually normal for this softener and others like it. What I recommend you do first is completely clean out the salt from the tank. Being sure that you get if not all of it out, most of it. As for the salt will normally clump at the bottom, that is just how most of these machines are designed. But if the flow is interrupted or obstructed in any way it can affect the way the softener works.

Jon :

If after cleaning the machine out then refilling with correct salt it still gives you the message then please try reseting the machine by unplugging it for ten minutes then plugging it back in again.

Jon :

If the message is still there then please unplug the machine and rub your hand over the controls. Do you feel any stuck buttons or buttons that dont push in or are otherwise not working correctly?

Jon :

if so, please let me know.

Jon :

If not, Then please try taking a hair dryer to the control area of the softener. Fan the hair dryer back and forth about 6-8 inches away from the control for about ten minutes.

Jon :

This will help unstick any stuck relays or control buttons behind the control panel.

Jon :

If the problem still persists and you are sure that you have cleaned the unit out properly and are sure that you have it filled with the correct salt then you are looking at a bad main board.

Jon :

Since the main board or control board is over priced it may be better for you to get another softener. especially fi this one is any older then 7 years.

Jon :

If it is under the 7 year mark and you feel comfortable spending more then $265 on the parts alone, the part number of the board is WS21X10016. The part can be ordered at either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com.

Jon :

If you need any other help or have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more. If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit for helping you from the website. If you have more questions after positively rating me below please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Kim,

Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need anything else or have any other questions please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.