Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Maytag dryer was working beautifully - no problems. I was

Maytag dryer was working beautifully - no problems. I was drying a small load and opened the door to check if they were dry. When I hit the start button it made a click but would not start. When you hit the off button it makes a click -( both just one click) . I have tried turning it off, I checked the fuse box - turned breakers off and on a couple of times. Checked the vent - not clogged - we keep it cleaned out - inside vent and outside vent.
Light comes on when you open the door - all lights are on the panel on the front.
HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today :)

The likely problem here is the thermal fuse has blown, Take the panel off under the door by removing the 3 screws along the botXXXXX XXXXXp, once off you will see the blower housing, look behind the blower housing with a flashlight you should see the thermal fuse.

graphic

pull the wires off then tape the wires together, Next start the machine on a 30 minute timed cycle, If as I suspect the machine starts you have found your problem :) replace the fuse before using the dryer again.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service" or above so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will give it a try - what is the part number? I gave you the wrong model number it is MED9800TQ0(zero) do you have a diagram of this part?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link below to order the replacement fuse.

Click here

This is part 38 on the schematic below.

graphic

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Mike - thank you for the info - You said in the first reply - "Take the panel off under the door by removing the 3 screws along the botXXXXX XXXXXp, once off you will see the blower housing, look behind the blower housing with a flashlight you should see the thermal fuse."

HOWEVER, the schematic shows the fuse behind the dryer vent/housing. I have a big what I call kickplate under the dryer door - not sure how to remove it - there are 3 screws in the dryer vent/housing. WHich one will gain me access to this fuse?

THANKS!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The blower housing is the vent fan housing, the same thing :)

Pull the machine out from the wall tilt it back and sit the front on a 2x4 or something similar, you should see the screws.

graphic

Once the panel is off look around the back of the blower housing under the drum you will see the fuse.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to reply but keep getting access denied!!!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You just did reply :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES but it won't let me type more than one sentence!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You don't have permission to access "http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7qfbp-maytag-dryer-working-beautifully-no-problems.html" on this server.

Reference #18.4fc4317.1367372881.57ed8fc3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try contacting customer service at the help link below
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it some sort of relay that could be causing the problem? I have not heard the click before and now I do

Dryer has never overheated, never been too hot and not ever not started

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is kept SUPER CLEAN inside and out -all vents etc - over cleaned if anything

If your crystal ball is working, please advise

Thanks!

Paula

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you check the thermal fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

QUESTION: What is the beep I am hearing when I push start and off button? It is just one beep just a split second after the beep you normally hear. It is both buttons - seems to be coming from the rear of the dryer - up high middle to left side if you are facing the dryer.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
the beep is just the machine telling you there is a problem, did you check the thermal fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NOT BEEP - I hear the beep but there is a CLICK a split second AFTER the beep from both switches - FUSE checks OK

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The click is the power relay, sounds to me like the door switch is working and the thermal fuse is good the issue is likely going to be the control board.

I have included a link below that you will be able to download a copy of the tech sheet for this unit. On the sheet is the instructions for running the diagnostic program, run the diagnostic program this will tell you where the problem is and the corrective actions needed.

Click here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AWESOME! YOU ROCK!!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, get back to me with the results in the am, logging off for tonight,

Thanks
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - Just for giggles ans as I already bought the thermal fuse - I replaced it and same problem - a beep and CLICK when you press the start button and when you press the off button - put dryer in diagnostic mode - no codes came up - WHAT do I do now??? I really don't want to spend hours and $$$ on this like I did with my trash compactor - they guy had me replace every switch on it I think to the tune of $100 and none fixed the problem.

What - in your expert opinion could be causing this - as it was not the fuse?

Like I said - this dryer is only 5 or so years old - it gets used daily but is kept VERY clean lint wise etc and has never been too hot or never given me a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I need help NOW - He is offline
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Unplug the machine.Remove the top of the machine and on the LH side, above the drum, is the control board. On the back of that control board (pictured below), do you see any burn marks or bad solder connections?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

KELLY!!! You helped me with my sisters freezer, freezer on the bottom fridge and my trash compactor recently - I am SO GLAD it is you!!

OK - Did you read the problem? In a nutshell - this is a less than 10 yr old dryer - never a problem - never overheated - I keep it CLEAN - no lint in lint trap, or hose to outside etc - so no overheating. I opened the door to check a load of clothes about 1/2 way through - Closed door back and it beeped once like it should and I heard one click - It did not start - tried pushing the off button - beep as usual and one click from it - Lights come on - lights on when door open but won't run - just the one beep and one click. I replaced the thermal fuse - It was good - I checked old and new just to make sure - both good.

Thanks! Paula

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PS - how do I remove the top to get to control board?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I remember you, welcome back! Three screws along the back edge and the top panel will pull off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok top is off but I don't see a control board - is it under the long metal strip on the left hand side and how do I get to it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is mounted on the LH side, just above the drum.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is mounted on that steel panel, I believe there are three 1'4" screws that secure it in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The front side looks brand new - I see no burn marks or bad solder places - How do I get it off the metal strip - or do I need to check the back of the board? Could this be a bad door switch??

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The back of the board is where the burn marks will be. You will have to release the plastic tabs the secure the board to the metal panel and there may be a screw there, too. The back of the board where it burns is circled below.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!! Turned board over and the area circled was not burned but there are several metal nubs all over the back - the one just below and to the right of the A in the writing at top of board P27165A - what is it?? YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is great, well done! That board will need to be replaced and is available below. I am going to send this as an answer, but could you please rate the original expert, I was just helping him out while he was away. It was so nice to hear from you again, sorry it was for a broken appliance!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES - I would like to pay the original guy - he did a great job too and you as well - HOW do I do that? THANK YOU AGAIN!! BTW - What does the burnt part control (besides the dryer not starting! :)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the motor relay, and the reason you hear the clicking. You can just go back to one of his answers and rate it. Thank you so much!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the new control board today and dryer is WORKING!!!! THANK YOU - AGAIN!!!!!

Paula