Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KitchenAid dishwasher model KUDI02FRSS1. The unit

I have a KitchenAid dishwasher model KUDI02FRSS1. The unit keeps stopping multiple times in the course of doing a load. Each time it stops, there at no lights showing on the control panel initially. Then after a few minutes, the START/RESUME light comes on flashing. If I press that button, the cycle will continue. So I can get through a load, but I have to restart it in this manner 10-20 times, which is quite impractical.

I tried replacing the control board and that helped for a few days, but then it started again. What can I do?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There are really only 3 things that can cause this issue, either the control board, the touchpad, or the door switch isn't being activated. If the fuse was bad, the dishwasher would stop and never come back on. Now you said you replaced the control board so that brings us down to either the touchpad (control panel) or the door switch not being activated properly. Open the door and look at the top of the door way. There is a metal door "striker" that goes into the door latch assembly. Over time this part will bend up and not make good contact with the door switch. Bend this striker down so that it barely slides over top of the inner door liner when you shut the door. Try the cycle and see if that solves the problem. If not, then you'd need to replace the touch control panel.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I've bent the striker down and am trying a cycle. Fingers crossed!

alright, good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, that didn't work. Do you have a part number and instructions to replace the touch control panel?

Could the problem also be due to a crack in one of the ribbon cables? This problem came up after I had to replace the fuse a couple of times.

The ribbon cable is part of the control panel, so yes that could be a problem but it still requires replacing the control panel to fix the issue. The part number for the touchpad is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for control panel touchpad

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I spent $161 to purchase a new control panel. I installed it and still have the same problem. The dishwasher stopped and had to be restarted 10+ times to get through the load. I've now addressed all three of the possible causes that you identified, and the problem is as bad as ever. What now?

There really is no reason the unit would be causing the problem if the control board was replaced unless the unit thinks the door is opening mid cycle. you've tried to bend the striker down already, do I would take the door apart and disconnect the 2 wires going to the door switch. Place a jumper wire between the 2 wires so that you're bypassing the door switch and use electrical tape to wrap around the jumper wire so it doesn't short out to anything. Run a cycle and make sure it runs through a cycle with the door switch jumpered. If so, then you need to replace the switch itself on the door latch assembly.

If you don't know how to install a jumper wire, then unfortunately you'd need a technician to come out to do this because it's not the easiest or safest thing to do if you don't know what you're doing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

Not a problem and good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, so I bypassed the door switch, ran it, and still the same problem: it stops 10 to 12 times mid cycle (with the green light flashing) and needs to be re-started. Now what?

If you've replaced the control board and the door switch isn't the issue, Possibly moisture is getting into the touchpad and the flashing start green light is actually an error code saying your touchpad has detected an internal short. There really isn't anything else that can cause the problem other than the control board itself and this problem is so rare that two boards aren't going to exhibit the same conditions, so I'd replace the touch control panel next.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already replaced the touch control panel a week ago when you told me to do that.

I apologize, you are correct. For some reason it had slipped my mind and I thought you replaced the control board. But that being said, if you've reaplaced the touchpad, replacing the control board would be the last step. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for control board

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had replaced the control board before I contacted you the first time.

I've now done the following:

(1) Replaced the control board

(2) Replaced the touchpad

(3) Bent the door latch up

(4) Bypassed the door latch

What else is there?

Some more background: This all began when I had a problem with the fuse blowing repeatedly. I replaced this several times. I tried putting a piece of insulation between the fuse and the inside of the dishwasher thinking that heat from the dishwasher was heating the fuse. At some point this problem with it needing to be restarted began, and so I replaced the control board thinking it might cure both issues. At first it did, but then the problem with the restarting began again and quickly got worse. Then I contacted you.

Could there be anything with a heat sensor or such that could be at fault?

There is nothing else. No a heat sensor would not cause the problem. There is absolutely nothing else so maybe warranty out all the parts since one of them likely came defective, or call a technician out to look at it because there just isn't anything else that would cause this problem.