Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

All of a sudden our KitchenAid dishwasher wont drain. The

Customer Question

All of a sudden our KitchenAid dishwasher won't drain. The door is really heavy now when we open it. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? The model should be located on a sticker around the frame of the dishwasher and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model number is: XXXXXXX

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is actually a part number. The model will start with a "K" for KitchenAid, so can you look for that number again please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

KUDIO1FLSS1

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok perfect, thank you.

So it sounds like you have 2 issues. Lets talk about the unit not draining first. First, I'm going to assume you didn't change your garbage disposal recently--so if you did please speak up. Alright, so you need to uninstall your dishwasher and drain all the water out that you can manually. Remove the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's not, then you want to replace that drain hose that comes directly off the drain pump because there is a back flow preventer inside this hose that failed all the time stopping the dishwasher from draining very well or at all. You can try to stick a flat head screwdriver through that 90 degree angle to get the backflow preventer un-stuck if you wanted to try that as well. Sometimes that will get the flap working again.

If the drain hose checks good, then remove the drain pump and look for and debris that may be blocking the drain pump impeller. Put everything back together and re-install the dishwasher to try again. If the dishwasher still doesn't drain, then you'll want to check 120 volts with a multimeter to the drain pump when it should be draining. If you're not getting 120 volts to the drain pump then you need a new control board inside the door. Assuming you are getting 120 volts, your drain pump would just need to be ordered and replaced.

Now for the door being heavy. There are 2 nylon cables on the the left and right side of the dishwasher which you can see once you un-install the dishwasher and pull it out. Once or both of these cables has broken and below is a link to a link to the cable kit you'll need to order and replace to fix the issue.

CLICK HERE for link kit

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.