Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

"Kenmore Elite Electric Range model 790. oven does not heat"

"Kenmore Elite Electric Range model 790. oven does not heat" I have analyzed my oven per a previous answer under this title by Appliance Guy, 1225 days ago. Checked out all the steps an I am still not sure if the control board is good or not.
All voltages read at 120 volts on each terminal when they are disconnected from the heating elements and set at temperature, except for the convection terminal coming from the control. Will this cause all of the other elements not to operate? If so, is there a way to bypass the convection side and get the bake and broil elements to work until I can get a new control board (assuming it is bad)?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you actually need 240 volts going to the elements for them to heat. They will not heat with just 120 volts. Reconnect the wires to all the elements and test power between the 2 wires on the bake element when you have the oven set to bake. Do you get 240 volts?

If you get 0 volts, then test one of the wires to ground and do you have 120 volts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get 0 volts across the terminals and 120V at each terminal to ground.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So if you're sure you're getting 240 volts to the oven, you either have a bad relay control board or your high limit thermostat has tripped (usually trips during self clean or broiling if you did that recently). On this oven, the high limit thermostats are mounted to the BACK of the oven. That means you'll need to un-install this built in wall oven and remove the back panel to access the part. Below is a link to the part you're looking for. Be sure to turn the circuit breaker off and push the red button hard. If it clicks, then it will reset and everything should start working. If it doesn't click, test continuity through the thermostat and if it's open, replace the thermostat. Otherwise, if it tests good and the oven is getting 240 volts, replace the control board because there is nothing else that will stop all the heating elements from heating.

CLICK HERE to see high limit thermostat

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.