Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

Dishwasher dw141 by Brandt / kleenmaid : cycle starts by filling water

Dishwasher dw141 by Brandt / kleenmaid : cycle starts by filling water then stops and powers off. Cycle won't continue. No leaks in chassis
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

This may be a board issue.

When it stops, is there water in the machine?

When it starts a new cycle, does the machine pump out first?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, yes, still need help ...

machine starts by filling (if empty) then stops (power off to led controls) - water is left in the machine.

Next time you start it, it pumps out the machine first then refills with water again only to stop once more.

No obvious signs of water leak, float switch is dry, drain is clear, didn't know if there is a fill timer (?) or other sensor but this is a new issue and the machine is about 10 yrs old and has been working fine until now.

Thanx

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

Can you por some water into the machine, up to the normal level, then advance the cycle into the rinse section and turn it on and tel me what happens
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, the machine doesn't have a cycle dial to jump into different cycle modes. It only has push buttons for different cycle types however I did the following ..

1. With the machine "full" and off (shutdown), I topped up the water and turned it on. It just drained and then refilled and stopped again.

2. During another restart, I interrupted the fill and topped up the water then closed the door. The machine has now started a wash cycle.

Do I take it from this that there may be a timer on the fill cycle??

Thanx

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

No, this is not a timed fill on this machine.

Lets see what happens when it gets to the end of the cycle.

Let me know how it goes

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

I ran the 45 degree quick wash and it has "finished" after about 30 minutes. The cycle ID led is still on, the start led is off, the body is warm inside with condensation on the sides however I started the same cycle again and it has started by pumping out water - so water was still left inside the unit! Interestingly, it also has now gone into the quick wash cycle with my intervention of topping up the water - which wouldn't happen before.

Let me know what I should do next.

Thanx

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

The first part of any cycle is a pump out, so this is correct.

The reason for this is that as you fill the dishwasher throughout the day, tea and coffee etc, gets put in the machine. This needs to be pumped out first

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Rob, I have also just noticed a small amount of water leaking from the hinge points either side of the door at the very bottom. They seem to be leaking on the floor at this stage and not inside the case. I have the front of the unit exposed and the integration kit removed so the bare unit is entirely visible.

As for the pump out, is the water in the base just the condensed water from the drying cycle that was pumped out?

So the unit is running through another quick wash cycle at the moment.

Thanx

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

The bottom of the dishwasher has the sump in it.
This is a bit like the U bend on the sink or the toilet.
It is designed to always have water in it.
Straight after pumping out, if you put the pump on again, it will sound like its pumping out, because of this water, but in fact its not pumped away. Only if more liquid is added will anything actually be pumped away, but again, it will always leave water in the sump

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanx Rob for the description on the sump.

The unit has now finished another quick wash successfully. Should I try a different cycle now or another test?

Thanx

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

Try another cycle and see how it goes.

Hopefully all is now reset

Let me know

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

New morning, new cycle - Intensive. Stopped after filling again. If I interrupt the fill and top up the sump, she starts up as normal.

Looks like the fault is intermittent? What do you recommend?

Thanx

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear the ba news !

To be honest, intermittent faults are a nightmare for an experienced tech when he is on site.
Trying to do it remotely is next to impossible, sorry.

I think the best way forward is to either replace the machine or get someone to do a hands on diagnosis.

10 years for a dishwasher is quite a good life, although a few more years would have been better, I know.

Sorry I cant really help much further with this as I think we have tried all possible avenues.

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

Is there a "fix all" possibility here ... eg is it likely to be a micro-processor board fault ? If this is the case, I will do a complete board replacement and see how we go. What do you think?

Cheers

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi PAul

It could be the board, but I would much prefer to be more sure.
If you replace the board and it doesnt sort it out, then its a very expensive mistake.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I think the only way that is going to happen is if you get a technician to do a "hands on" diagnosis

Sorry.

Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanx Rob,

The machine has already been repaired by a kleenmaid technician however this fault was not resolved. 3 months in the shop, 1 new pump and a repaired leak at the rear later, this fault remained. I think that the pump was replaced in an effort to fix this particular problem.

Do you know if there are schematics available anywhere for these units in which case I could cro the microprocessor board and see what is going on?

Thanx again for all your help

Regards

Paul

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul

Gosh, its a bit of a nightmare !

Sorry, I am unable to locate any schematic of any sort for this model

Good luck with it

Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.