Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.

Whirlpool Dishwasher ADP 951 Every so often (now more often

Whirlpool Dishwasher ADP 951 Every so often (now more often than not) the machine stops 2 min into the cycle and start light starts flashing. No pattern in flashing. If the start button is depressed for 5+ seconds the machine makes draining noise and light is off. Once started again the situation is repeated. THe machine sounds as if it is filled with water, but no water is inside upon opening the door.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

This sounds like an inlet valve at fault.

Select a new cycle and tell me exactly what it does step by step

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob

Yes, still looking for help. I am in a different place from where the machine is now, but have been fiddling with it for a week, so can tell you exactly what it does.

Upon switching on any cycle (there are 4 - pre-wash, economical, light wash and heavy pot/pans) it sounds like it is filling with water. However once I open the door there no water in the machine. Once door is closed the cycle is continued and the following happens:

1) the machine is filled with water, starts the wash, goes for about 5-10 min, stops, drains, the start light is flashing

2) cannot be restarted, have to depress the start button for 5+ seconds, initiates drain cycle

3) start it again - fill sound, no water, stops almost immediately, light flashing

4) push the button, drain sound, light is off, can start

if trying to re-start the points 3) and 4) are repeated. If the machine is left overnight, the whole thing - points 1 to 4 happen again.

In the last week I managed to get only one decent wash from the machine. We pulled out the inlet filter - no evident blockage. Checked the filter basket in the machine - all good. Poured a kettle of boiling water into the black drain in the filter - no luck.

Hi Lena

When you first select any cycle, the machine should in fact empty, not fill.

If your is filling straight away, this would indicate a problem with the control board, so you may want to check this.

If it is infact draining and then going on to fill, this could well be the heater failing as it is at this point when it should heat.

You will need to disconect from the power, remove lower kick panel and test the heater with a meter. If its open circuit, you will need to replace it

Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob

I am away from the machine now, so am unfortunately unable to check until late May. I was planning to acquire the necessary parts and take it there.

Based on what you are saying, would the heater fault stop the cycle?

Hi Lena

Yes it could, however you should test it first to be sure

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Rob.

Assuming the heater is OK upon testing, what would be the next thing to check?

Thank you

Hi Lena
In that case I would suspect the main borad.

Disconnect the power
Undo the screws around the door
The door panel will come away.
Look carefully at the board for burn marks and loose connections.

Take of the connectors one at a time and replace. Feel for loose wiring and connectors.
Tighten anything that feels loose.
If it points to a bad board, depending on age and condition, it may not be worth repairing because of the high cost of the board.

If you need more advice, please just ask me.
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email