Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a kenmore wall unit ac 580.75151500. Just a few years

I have a kenmore wall unit ac 580.75151500. Just a few years old and used little. I turned it on and noticed that the fan keeps shifting from hi to low every few seconds. Also, it is not blowing cold air. Here's a youtube link to see / hear (at :16 it shifts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppufIfliYA

Thanks!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

okay after watching listening to your video it sounds like its drawing power to try and start the compressor, since you said this isn't cooling thats most likely whats going on. now if you turn this to just air (no ac) does the fan do that still ? that will tell us whats going on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I called my wife and had her try it out and it does not shift hi/lo when on fan only. Just AC.

okay this means the compressor is trying to start but doesn't. when this happens it draws a lot of amperage and takes away for the fan amps. now its hard to say for sure but usually the capacitor is the issue. now these need to be discharged before you can replace it. you can get "bit" shocked by these so if your not comfortable doing this have a tech out to replace it. if you think you can replace it heres a link to the part http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kenmore-Parts/Room-air-conditioner-Parts/0CZZA20001L/0042/580/Model-58075151500/0582/0904032?keySuffixId=NA&pathTa ken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=50026563&diagramPageId=00002&productTypeId=0904032&searchModelNumber=58075151500&subCompDesc=Control%20box%20assy&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=ROOM-A/C&blt=11&shdMod=58075151500&keyId=6-B part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I can handle that. I'll get the cap & give it a try. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!

okay , just make sure the unit is unpluged and the capacitor discharged. its located behind the control panel. number 6B .good luck and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That did it. 10 min. repair and it works great! Money well spent.

Thanks again!

thats great ! thats what I thought. thanks Bryan