Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Frigidaire dryer model #ferb6600eso. Dryer was working, heating

Customer Question

Frigidaire dryer model #ferb6600eso. Dryer was working, heating element bad. Changed heating element, now dryer will not turn on. Checked all wiring connections 3 times. Checked wire for cuts, checked circut breaker, good. What is your thoughts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today,

Good morning, Can you tell me when the element went did the wire element short out to the heater ground ? Do you have a volt meter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I check that out with a volt meter?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the issue is more than likely the thermal fuse. when the heater blows it usually shorts out which in turn blows the fuse. Thermal FuseNNN-NN-NNNN      Main Product View this is mounted on the side of the heater, there are two wires going to it. if you don't have a volt meter unplug the dryer, take the two wires off and hook them together with a piece of wire. tape it so it doesn't ground out and the try the dryer, if it starts its bad and needs to be replaced. Heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/134120900/1489053?modelNumber=FERB6600ES0?RCAID=1000065 if it needs to be replaced please replace it before running the dryer. its a safety so the dryer wont catch fire if something goes wrong. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hooked two wires together with another wire. nothing. hooked two wires together without third wire- nothing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, so the thermal fuse appears to be good, According to your model this doesn't have a belt safety switch so the next thing to check is the door switch. you really should have a volt meter for that. you say you checked the wires on the door switch but you haven't checked the switch itself correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a volt meter. not sure how to use it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay click this link and watch the video, it shows you how to check continuity with a volt meter. its showing you how to test the thermal fuse but its the same for a door switch. when you think you can do it after watching the video let me know and I'll walk you through the switch test. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/134120900/1489053?modelNumber=FERB6600ES0 when you open the page just clcik on see help videos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Watched video, understood it tried it out on the thermal fuse it was good. (new thermal fuse came with heating element) Tested old fuse, and that checked out to be good. Would the safety witch be checked out in the same manner?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

safety switch turns out to be good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

safety switch check out OK with volt meter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay can you check voltage with your meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

checked voltage-OK

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
220 volts comming in right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I need to do some research and see if I can find the tech sheets .I'll get back to you soon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you checked this thermostat correct ?number 36 on this diagram.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
its actually on the back wall of the dryer .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, checked it with volt meter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well okay check your start switch the way you do the thermostats, just turn the start switch and test it for continuity. make sure the dryer is unpluged and a wire is off to isolate the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please resend last response, was not able to open. did check thermos control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. Took drum out and found that I had not hooked the two wires to the back of the heating element. Sorry when I said I had checked all connections, I was only checking the ones I could see. Sure you would have me checked that out sooner or later. Thanks again for hanging in there with me.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome , no problem, yeah we would have gone there sooner but I was going by what you said . LOL glad you got it running, thanks and best wishes, Bryan