Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Microwave model pnm1871sm3ss. I was cooking

Customer Question

I have a GE Microwave model pnm1871sm3ss.

I was cooking something and it over heated and now it won't power back on. I've checked the breakers and noticed that the thermostat had no current. I replaced it and still no power. Is there a master reset, or is something else wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Is the control panel completely dead ? blank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Now the thermostat yo replaced it was a thermostat and not the in line fuse correct ? Line Fuse WB27X10388      Main Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked both fuses with my meter and got tone

This is the confusing part, the magnetron and thermostat look exactly alike.

Once i pulled the panel off, there was the round one on the bottom in the frame. I checked it and got tone.

There was another toward the back of the frame and it didn't have tone.

Which is which?

I ordered both parts and i replaced the one in the back.

Plugged unit back in and still dead panel.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay the one you need to check is this one. now this is mounted on the top of the microwave.number 44 on this diagram .graphicis that the one your referring to ? when you checked these for tone did you take at least one wire off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now i'm confused, because there are two of these fuses directly behind the control panel. these are the ones i checked. I pulled both wires off and checked it.

I did not check the one you are referring to, will i need to pull the entire microwave out of the cabinet? Is is mounted over the stove.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the thermostat I'm referring to is the one thats bad. its the safety,if thats blown you get nothing from the microwave at all , no lights no nothing.sometimes if your luck you can get to this trough the grill along the top front but its tight. if you cant reach it you will need to take the microwave down again unfortunately. thats definitely your issue as far as the power goes, heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermoprotector/WB27X10810/1086422?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already have the part, i'll try to get to it. How long will you be available today?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I will be here all day accept when I take a break. if I'm not on I will be back shortly. you have that part already ? PART NUMBER: WB27X10810 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was told to order these parts from GE:

WB27x10166

WB27X1127

These will not work?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately the WB27x10166 is the thermal cutoff for the magnetron. and the WB27X1127 if for the control fan to turn that on to cool the control. you will need to order the WB27X10810 .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can i get that part locally?

And will this remain open until I get the part or we continue troubleshooting?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
You can check local warehouses in your area, they may stock it. this question remains open as long as you want, rating me 3 or above doesn't close the question. I'm always available. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if i rate you now even though we are not finished it won't close, and i'll have access to you?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

yes thats correct, any replies you send will be sent dirrectly to me. I would have to say I'm 99% sure on that issue. come back if you need anymore help. thanks , Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back, got the part and now can't get the microwave on the hinge on the wall. any suggestions on how to unhook this bugar

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
up in the cabinet there are 2 or 3 long screws that hold this up, have you taken them out ? hold on to the microwave as you take them out, once those are out the microwave will come down in the front and then you lift it up off the back bracket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, i'm good. got it out switched the part and now it is back on. Problem two.

Now the fan won't go off.

I reset the clock it looks good. I haven't did a test microwave yet though. so what is going on with the fan?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

mmm not sure at this point. oh maybe the thermostat you put in is the wrong one. remember I mentioned above how the cooling fan has a thermostat ? the WB27X1127 ?

could you have put the wrong thermostat in at that spot ? it would be the one on the bottom of the control panel. number 85 I believe on the diagram ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are undoubtedly the man. It was the part i originally replaced. I pulled it out and put the old part back in, and it is purrrring once again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats fantastic ! good job ! I love working with someone smart !LOL, some people can even unplug their appliances . have a great day ! and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One last question.

Hey it was not 85 but 84.

What is that fuse for?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
84 is really just the base plate for the transformer. the one you just switched is for the cooling fan. it is supposed to run when the microwave is cooking to cool the control area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, well thank you very much. I like little do it yourself projects to save money. And this 50 buckets was well worth it. If i could rate you higher than excellent, expectional i would. Thanks for your help!!!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much. have a great day and if you ever need help again on anything else I hope you request me ! well wishes, Bryan