Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My ge 48 inch range is ten yrs old. The stainless steel exterior

My ge 48 inch range is ten yrs old. The stainless steel exterior panel is pulling away from the glass window. Now what?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us a model number so we can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Try this model number zdp486ndpss48
Okay great. now its the large door correct ? can you tell me which part is comming away on this diagram ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot open the diagram on my iPad..the panel is pulling away in the lower center of the window.
okay I see, the outer panel is comming away from the glass itself ? there are screws underneath going straight up into the door assembly holding the outer skin (stainless) have you checked them to make sure one hasn't fallen out or is loose ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not. I am not able to check the unit until later today.
okay when you get back there let me know, I'll watch for your reply. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have checked all the fasteners and screws, none are missing.
does it look like its bowed ? or the glass is comming loose ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The metal is bowing out about 1/8 of an inch. I can see some of the insulation. The glass is not loose.

Okay, so at this point there are two things you can do, 1 replace the outer door skin, or 2 you can try taking the door apart and see if you can straighten the piece, sometimes heat will start to deform the metal after years of use. I would try repairing the door before replacing the door panel since the panel is $254.00. It is available however at the following link. mponent&documentCompId=G1103326&diagramPageId=00008&productTypeId=0122007&searchModelNumber=ZDP486NDP1SS&subCompDesc=Large%20door%20assembly&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=GAS-RANGE&blt=11&shdMod=ZDP486NDP1SS&keyId=122 thanks and best wishes, Bryan