Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

Hello! I have just purchased a commercial convection oven

Customer Question

Hello!
I have just purchased a commercial convection oven at an auction. The model is the NU-VU OP2FM. These units are apparently built to work with both 3 and 1 phase electrical supply. The manual illustrates the simple procedure for converting between the two (20th page in manual). The label on my unit says that it is a 3 phase 120V unit drawing a maximum 25 amps. However the manual states that the units operate at 208V/240V in single or 3 phase. My question is this: When I make the conversion from 3 phase TO single phase what effect will this have on the electrical demand? How do I now wire the electrical supply to the unit? Here is a link to the manual, hope it helps. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B54HgGI3h9AdcEZQSjVfZVM4cTg/edit?usp=sharing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

If you have a three fase existing set up in your house or business now, all you need to do is hook it up. But if the current machine you are buying and inquiring about now has a different cord or you need to use a different cord just follow these instrcutions below.

Jon :

it is simple.

Jon :

just follow the color coded chart for the cord being installed to your machine.

Jon :

if you are going from three phase to a one phase then it should just be matching up the black to black, white to white and red to red wires of the cord or wires coming from the box.

Jon :

then just make sure you dont forget the ground wire to either earth ground or chasis ground

Jon :

There is no effect on electrical demand

Jon :

it is a max output of 220v

Jon :

like it says 208v/240v

Jon :

which basically means that it is a standard 220 volt wire that needs to be hardwired into the machine or outlet to your house

Jon :

and should be on at least a 30 amp breaker.

Jon :

do you understand what I have written?

Jon :

is your question on how to wire in the one phase or will it have any affect on the voltage demand?

Jon :

there will be little to no affect on voltage demand. just wired in differently thats all.

Jon :

still will draw in about 220v either way it is hardwired in.

Jon :

and you will still need at least a 30 amp breaker. although for most commercial ranges or appliances i would recommend a 40- 50 amp breaker just to be sure you are protected.

Customer:

Yes what you've said makes sense. Okay so I am converting the unit to single phase and running it from a 240V outlet. Can you explain the discrepancy between the label on the oven stating 120V and the manual stating 240V?

Customer:

Thanks for the advice on the breaker amperage.

Jon :

some units can be run with 110v. but for yours it looks like it is 220v

Jon :

and most commercial ovens like this one, will run only on 220v.

Jon :

sometimes they print the tags to accommodate many styles and models. and in eforts to save money on printing many different tags, they put either 110/ 220v tags on it.

Jon :

follow the manual.

Jon :

that will tell you exactly how to wire in your unit.

Jon :

but believe me, it is rather simple. but if you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Customer:

so do you think it would be ok to wire it with a plug to a outlet or is my only option hardwiring?

Jon :

where are looking to install this in your home/ office?

Customer:

commercial kitchen.

Jon :

it can definitely go to an outlet. but the outlet has to be formatted for a 220 line. like a dryer.

Jon :

the 220 outlets are the bigger outlets that have a different receptacle then a regular 110v outlet.

Customer:

right. There is no outlet at the moment so the wiring will have to be installed regardless.

Jon :

it is the three prong cord that has one prong like a l shaped plug.

Jon :

yes. if there is no outlet then you have to get an electrician to wire you in a 220 outlet that would work for the cord of the machine. or if the machine didnt come with a cord, then one that would work with it.

Jon :

They will know exactly what you need. again it looks very closely similar to a dryer cord.

Customer:

The unit was hardwired previously and the cord was removed so I will have that installed as well.

Jon :

and yes, you can directly hardwire this machine as well. but even then you need to have the wires from the circuit panel to do this. so if you dont have that, call the electrician and he will know exactly what you need.

Jon :

yes. ok. if the cord was previously hard wired and had the cord removed that is common.

Jon :

but you will need to have at least the wires from your kitchen to the circuit panel to wire that way.

Jon :

so if you dont have that, call the electrician and he will do it for you.

Jon :

do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

yeah I think I will just have an outlet installed.

Customer:

No I think you've helped me figure this one out.

Customer:

Thanks!

Jon :

that would be better in my eyes. then just get a cord that will fit the outlet. much safe that way as well.,

Jon :

you are very welcome

Jon :

just remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating

Customer:

Hey I'm smiling! No worries!

Jon :

and if you have more questions even after rating me please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer:

Great thanks!

Jon :

A philosophy I live by...Keep smiling. Have a great day/ night.

Customer:

you too!

Jon :

you are very welcome. I am glad I could help you.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Blake,

thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions or concerns with this machine please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again and have a good night.