Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Hi I have a whirlpool microwave model YWMH1162XVQ-1 that stopped

Hi I have a whirlpool microwave model YWMH1162XVQ-1 that stopped heating, everything else works it just does'nt heat,what could it be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today :)

The problem here is either going to be the magnetron, High voltage capacitor, High voltage diode or the door switch. This is not a good DIY fix because factory test equipment will be needed to accurately diagnose the problem plus the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I recommend you take the unit down and take it to a experienced workshop to have it fixed. The cost would be anywhere between $150 - $250, Bearing in mind that most new units cost around $229 you may want to look for a new unit.

After the warning given if you decide you want to fix this yourself and have a multi meter and amp meter I would be happy to assist you further :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service" or above so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a multi meter/amp meter what do i do ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The first thing you would need to do is test the power diode.

Click here to view a video that will show you how.

If you need to know how to access inside the microwave cavity let me know.

If the diode is burned or bad it will need to be replaced.

be careful what you touch even when unplugged.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

diode is good it reads 63.8v next?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok the likely and most common problem is going to be the magnetron, To test the magnetron follow the directions below.

Make sure to discharge the capacitor first.

Do this by touching the blade of an insulated-handled screw driver to one terminal, then slide it toward the other terminal until it makes contact and hold it there for a few seconds. (This can result in a rather startling "pop!")

Carefully remove all leads from the magnetron terminals. Proper wiring is important so make notes of the wire locations.
Set the ohmmeter to its lowest resistance scale.
Measure the resistance from one magnetron terminal to the other in either direction.
The magnetron filament resistance should be less than one ohm.

With the meter set to the highest resistance scale, check from the magnetron terminals to the metal magnetron housing. (Be careful not to touch the meter leads as this will result in a false reading).
The meter should read infinity (open circuit) regardless of meter polarity.
Even a slight reading would indicate a defective magnetron

If the magnetron is bad click the link below to order the new part.

Click here

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if i'm doing this right then there's 0 resistance between the terminals and no reading between terminals and housing, next?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok next test the door switches for operation with your ohm meter.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
after that test the thermostat part 22 for continuity, there should be a couple that look like this and should be tested.

graphic

After this you only have the high voltage transformer, if everything has been tested and has tested good then by process of elimination the tranny is bad.
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I tested the transformer it was good ,( confused) had it tested by a retired appliance guy , he said it was good ( more confused) tested the magnetron again , it was good , reassembled the mic now it works , go figure . Not sure what I did wrong or right but it works .
Thanks for your help .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Most likely had a loose wire. Glad it's working again :)