Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.

My refrigerator Model No. MSD2454GRW is not working properly.

Customer Question

My refrigerator Model No. MSD2454GRW is not working properly. The freezer completely thawed all the food. It seems to turn on and blow air but the air does not seem cold. I'm concerned that my refrigerator is going to fail as well.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Pitstop Appliance replied 1 year ago.

Pitstop Appliance :

Pitstop Appliance :

In your unit, all the cooling is done in the freezer and the refrigerator is just cooled by a fan blowing the air into the refrigerator compartment.

Pitstop Appliance :

So yes, if the freezer is not cooling, your fridge will get warm soon.

Pitstop Appliance :

Couple questions to start- how old is the fridge? How long has it been since you cleaned the coils underneath?

Pitstop Appliance :

Do you have any pets?

Customer:

So do you think its fixable? Any ideas what is causing the problem? Compressor, Motor?

Pitstop Appliance :

If you open the doors on the unit and feel the divider between the fridge and freezer, is it hot?

Pitstop Appliance :

Is the unit making any clicking noises?

Pitstop Appliance :

or buzzing noises?

Customer:

Sorry I didn't see the bottom part. It's about 7 years old. We have been remodeling and it was very dusty. We pulled it out and vacuumed it really well. We have one dog that is outside most of the time but she is in some.

Pitstop Appliance :

Is the unit making any clicking noises?

or buzzing noises?

Customer:

No they are cool. Not super cold but cold. The freezer is now blowing air and it seems cool but certainly not freezing.

Pitstop Appliance :

That's not good.

Pitstop Appliance :

Pull the fridge away from the wall, and on the back side of it you will see a cover at the bottom. If you take that cover off, you will see a large black metal ball shaped part. That is the compressor. Put your hand on it. If it is running, it should be warm and you should feel a vibration.

Customer:

It's not making any unusual noises. It's almost like it just turned off for awhile. Everything else electrical is ok in the kitchen

Pitstop Appliance :

If the coils underneath cant get airflow (clogged with cat or dog hair or a LOT of dust) or the fan in the back next to the compressor isn't running.. the compressor will overheat and shut off until it cools down..then turn back on.. but that generally will make a lot of clicking noises.

Pitstop Appliance :

Based on my experience with Maytag fridges built during that time period, I am going to guess you are going to find that the compressor is indeed running (warm and vibrating) and the fan next to it is running as well..

Pitstop Appliance :

but the unit just won't cool anymore.

Customer:

That's not good? Is it time for a new one? What do you think it is?

Pitstop Appliance :

Unfortunately, that is what is referred to as a sealed system issue, and unless you want to call an appliance repair company and spend about $600 as a rough estimate...

Pitstop Appliance :

Maytag fridges built around that time period weren't known to be reliable.

Customer:

Did I lose you?

Pitstop Appliance :

I'm here.

Pitstop Appliance :

Do me a quick favor,..

Pitstop Appliance :

If you haven't emptied the freezer yet, pull out the bottom basket and look behind it at the back wall inside the freezer.

Pitstop Appliance :

tell me if there is any frost on the wall.

Customer:

Is this working?

Pitstop Appliance :

I am here.

Pitstop Appliance :

It shows on the screen as if you are entering and leaving the chat over and over again.. as if your computer or the system is buggy..??

Customer:

Ok. Hang on :) I will hurry

Customer:

The compressor is warm but I don't feel any vibration. I feel cool air blowing underneath it.

Pitstop Appliance :

Customer:

The compressor is warm and it is vibrating

Pitstop Appliance :

Something appears to be wrong with the chat system. I am going to switch it to question and answer form.

Customer:

Not sure how this works. It shows you are now offline. Does that mean you are not answering any more questions?

Experience: Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Ok. This should work better.

Please look behind the lower basket inside the freezer and tell me if the back wall in the freezer has frost on it. I'm pretty sure you will find it does..but please check for me.
I am here. Something is wrong with the system it appears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also I did remove the basket because I had to mop up the water in the bottom of the freezer. There is no frost. It is way too warm for frost :) Thanks again for you help :)

Ok, so your compressor is warm and running, but no cooling, no frost. The symptoms all point towards a sealed system issue, which is a major problem and will require a service person to come to your home to repair.