Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

There is problem with my GE electric cooktop. All 4 burners

There is problem with my GE electric cooktop. All 4 burners don't have heat when they are turned on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good morning. Looking at your cook top this has separate burner switches and they are infinite switches which means their not electronic. your issue is a power issue. I'll try to explain further , on a cook top i it requires 220 volts for the burner's to work . all the lights will come on when you turn the knobs because the lights are on one side of the 220 but it requires the other side for the burner is to actually work . so you have 110 V on each side coming into the unit. you are missing one side of that power . check your breakers first if you have fuses make sure one hasn't blown. this is definitely a power issue. do you have a volt meter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX checked the breakers. They are fine. My house was built in 2010. So the breakers don't have fuse. Please forgive my ignorance if my answer make no sense. I do have volt meter. Please give me your guidance.

Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay.what you need to do is first shut the breaker off pull the cover over the connections.turn the power back on and check the voltage at the box on the cook top. you should be getting 220 volts between the red and the black leads on the cook top. if you do let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here are what I did.

1. The cooktop is sealed to the granite counter top, so I couldn't pull the cover over the connection.

2. I went under the cooktop and loosened the screws. Still couldn't pull down the box.

Please advise.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

That makes it tough. where do the wires connect from the house ? is there no an access box that the wiring goes into on the bottom or a junction box under the cabinet ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is an access box attached to the bottom of the cooktop. But I could only pull down the box a little bit after loosening all the screws. So I couldn't look into the box and test the voltage.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea how your cook top is connected, can you take a picture and send it to me ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This turns out to be a very serious issue. I found out not only the burners have no heat, but also the dryer and the oven have no heat. I went outside of my house and checked the power meter. You know what? One of the power cables was burned into two pieces, and the box was blown open. Called power company and finally got the power cable repaired.

Root cause is: Two power cables were too close to each other. There was some damage to the rubber around the cables. Eventually it caused one cable burning which resulted in minor explosion. It's totally power company's fault.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Wow I'm Glad you got that fixed. I was correct in my diagnoses about the power. I'm so glad you didn't have a fire, thanks for letting me know. please remember to rate me 3 or above before closing this question, thanks and have a great day. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.