Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an 8-year-old Duet electronic dryer. All of a sudden

I have an 8-year-old Duet electronic dryer. All of a sudden - between two loads of laundry, pushing the start button for 3 seconds doesn't start the cycle - but the lights are on. It beeps once & the "sensing" light goes on, but no tumbling. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you check to see if the timer still counts down after you press the start button? Most of the time when this common issue happens, the dryer won't run but the timer will still count down.

If the timer is counting down, this means that your thermal fuse has likely gone bad and will need to be replaced. If you remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel, you can remove the lower front panel by pulling down and forward. Unplug the dryer and look behind the lint filter enclosure to the left. There is a little 1" thin flat white plastic device attached to the top of the blower wheel housing. Now there are actually 2 thin white plastic parts behind the lint filter and the fuse is the one future to the left. Check continuity and make sure it has continuity if you have a multimeter. If it happens to to test open or "bad", then replace the fuse.

Now if the fuse has continuity the only other thing that can cause this issue is if the dryer thinks the belt is broken. So when you have the lower front panel off, do make sure the belt isn't laying on the ground broken. There is a switch next to the motor that is activated when the belt is taut. If by chance the belt is attached and the fuse happens to be good or when you replace it you still have an issue, you'll need to replace the main relay board mounted to the left side wall above the drum because it thinks that either the fuse is bad or the belt is broken.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say lower front panel, you do mean the piece under the round door? I'm seeing two metal screws (hexagonal, not flat or phillips head), one on each side; and I can't see how to get leverage on them. The dryer is on a drawer pedestal - does that make any difference?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes that is correct. The screws are 1/4" nut driver screws do you need a nut driver or a socket to remove the screws. If the dryer is on a pedestal, just open the drawer and then you have access to the screws that you can remove.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally found a nut driver & 1/4" socket; got the front panel off. The only piece of white plastic I see has black, green, & yellow wires sticking out of it; I assume the black semi-triangle thing in front is the blower housing? I guess the good news is that there isn't a belt on the floor.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you look on the diagram below, the fuse that you're looking for is part 59. It's behind the lint filter housing so it's not something you'd see without looking for it. or removing the lint filter housing.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks like I need to remove parts 62 through 44 to get to it; How do you get the plastic fan blade (37?) off? And am I going to have to do anything with the wires?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, you do not need to remove that stuff. You just need to remove part 45. The fuse is mounted onto the top of 44.

As for how to remove part 45, open the door and pull the filter out. Shut the door. Remove the 3 screws along the top of part 45. Remove the 1 screws in the lower front left corner of part 45 which holds a mount in place. Remove the mount and then part 45 pulls off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There's a flat white plastic piece held on with a metal screw & has two blue wires attached - but they look pretty firmly fixed. Am I looking in the right area? Also, the multitester i have doesn't measure continuity, so I guess I need to go buy one, but if I can identify the fuse, I could just buy both at the same time....

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes, that part with the 2 blue wires is the fuse. If you don't have a multimeter, be sure the oven is unplugged and pull the 2 blue wires off the fuse. Tape the wires together to bypass the fuse and see if the dryer will run. If so, then you need a fuse. If not, then you ned a new relay control board

The wires are on tight so usually I put a flat head screwdriver under the wire terminal and twist to pop it off the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1) Do you have a larger picture of the fuse? The wires are on REALLY tight & I absolutely don't want to break them.

2) When I do finally get the wires off, is it important to remember which wire was attached to which terminal?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
1.graphic

2. No it does not matter which wire connects to which terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the wires off & taped them with electrical tape - I'm sure the metal strips were touching; plugged in the dryer & got the same beep & no go, so I guess it's the relay control board.

Can you tell me roughly what they cost? I'll have to get a pro to come do that part - I've already done about as much as I dare.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright. I'm sorry it wasn't something less expensive, but the cost of the part is about $230. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all your help - and $230 plus the technician's time is still cheaper than buying a whole new dryer! I'm really glad I found the site. I will send the "excellent" rating as soon as I send this. I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright. Well I'm sorry again that the dryer is not fixed at this point, but I'm glad I could help you and at least narrow down the problem. You enjoy whats left of the weekend as well.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.