Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.
74052492

I have a whirlpool cabrio platinum, gas dryer, it will not

I have a whirlpool cabrio platinum, gas dryer, it will not stay lit..the line has been purged so there is gas going to the dryer...it don't know what the problem is...any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Pitstop Appliance replied 1 year ago.

Pitstop Appliance :

Hello

Pitstop Appliance :

How long does the flame stay lit before shutting off?

Pitstop Appliance :

There are 2 common issues that can cause this problem.

Pitstop Appliance :

The first is simply the exhaust vent in the wall being clogged or restricted.

Pitstop Appliance :

Pop the vent off the back of the unit and try again and see if it behaves itself.

Customer:

Maybe 10-15 seconds

Pitstop Appliance :

The other common cause is faulty gas coils, but try removing the exhaust vent from the machine first and see what happens.

Customer:

I have done that and it still does not stay lit

Pitstop Appliance :

Ok then the unit has faulty gas coils.

Customer:

I can light the pilot light with or without the vent pipe on there and it still only stays lit for a short time

Customer:

Can you replace the gas coils or is it better to replace the unit?

Pitstop Appliance :

This unit does not have a pilot light.

Customer:

O.k.

Pitstop Appliance :

You need to replace the 2 parts labled #11 in this picture-

Full Size Image

Customer:

Since i've only had it about a week, should I send it back and get a new one, instead of spending more money to replace those parts

Pitstop Appliance :

Yes, if it is only a week old then it is under warranty and you should 100% call Whirlpool to get it fixed!

Customer:

Ok awesome then, thank you.. if I was to replace the coils, approximately how much do they cost

Pitstop Appliance :

Not much, depends on where you buy them from.. but warranty is warranty.. call them!

Customer:

On this type of dryer, should the burner stay lit all the time?

Customer:

Fantastic

Pitstop Appliance :

As long as there are wet clothes to absorb some of the heat and the vent is not blocked, crushed, or restricted, then yes the flame should definitely stay on for more than 15 seconds!

Customer:

Ok then, thank you for all your help. .you are very helpful

Pitstop Appliance :

If there is anything else I can assist you with, just let me know. If you are happy with my service, please rate me well.

Pitstop Appliance :

Have a good day.

Customer:

Thank you have a great day yourself

Experience: Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.