Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.
74052492

I have a Kenmore Frontload washing machine from 2004. It wont

I have a Kenmore Frontload washing machine from 2004. It won't stop spinning during the final spin cycle, unless we open the door. Previous to it happening a strange ticking noise was noted for about 3 loads before this "won't stop spinning" issue happened. My model number is XXXXX My serial number is XXXXX I have no issues taking it apart, I can replace parts...I just need to know where to start.

Thanks,

Greg
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Pitstop Appliance replied 1 year ago.

Pitstop Appliance :

Pitstop Appliance :

That unit has a timer, which should advance it through the cycle.

Pitstop Appliance :

It is possible the timer itself is faulty and 'getting stuck'... but I find it interesting that you mention you are opening the door while it is spinning.

Pitstop Appliance :

Your unit is a rebadged Frigidaire and are known to have issues with the door latch assembly.

Pitstop Appliance :

If the door latch is faulty, that can effect how the unit operates.

Pitstop Appliance :

It should lock itself and not allow you to open the unit while spinning as you say you are doing.

Pitstop Appliance :

I would advise you to replace the door latch assembly. Also, check the striker on the door that mates with the door latch. It is possible that it is broken off into the latch as well.

Pitstop Appliance :

That should resolve your issue.

Customer: I am sorry, what I meant was that we had to manually shut the machine down via the knob. The door lock works fine. The issue is the fact that it won't stop spinning unless we manually stop the machine via the control knob.
Pitstop Appliance :

Ok, that explains the discrepancy.

Pitstop Appliance :

The issue should be related to the timer itself then. I am assuming the unit does everything else correctly? Fills with water, agitates, drains, and spins..

Pitstop Appliance :

You should be able to stick your ear next to the machine and pinpoint if the noise is coming from the latch or from the timer.

Customer: Yes the unit does everything else correctly. So I may have to replace the timer or latch? The spinning drum operates on a timer, is that correct? I can imagine if the timer has gone it would need to be replaced. What about the latch, would a faulty latch cause the drum to spin indefinitely?
Pitstop Appliance :

Most times if the latch is faulty, it will cause the unit to not spin at all, or even sometimes for the unit not to even start and run.

Pitstop Appliance :

The only reason I had even mentioned the latch to begin with was my confusion that you mentioned opening the door to get it to stop spinning.

Pitstop Appliance :

Yes, if the timer is getting stuck, it needs to be replaced. There is no adjustment to be made.

Customer: I have no parts list, do you have access to one or where might I go to find the part number? Is it a pain in the ass to replace or in the "not too bad" category?
Pitstop Appliance :

You mentioned you had the front panel open, you should see the timer on the right hand side. Should be a direct swap, just take a picture or draw a diagram of what wires go where before you unplug anything.

Pitstop Appliance :

Although they don't show your exact model, here is a similar one and the exploded diagrams may be of help to you- http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Sears-canada-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-970C4003200/1781/0153200?searchedModel=970&blt=11

Pitstop Appliance :

CLICK HERE

Pitstop Appliance :

There, will be easier to click

Pitstop Appliance :

Your best bet on making sure the current part # XXXXX your exact unit is to call Sears and ask them.

Customer: So I am looking at it right now. The motor with the belt which spins the drum has a number of wires attached to it. Is the timer quite small?
Pitstop Appliance :

The timer is in the control panel, nowhere near the motor

Customer: Ok that helps
Pitstop Appliance :

The physical cycle time that you spin to pick a cycle.

Pitstop Appliance :

#18 in this picture-

Full Size Image

Customer: So I found a part labelled "timer". In the control panel I will replace that!
Customer: Perfect! Thanks so much!
Experience: Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.