Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Frigidaire model #FRS6R5EMB8 will not get cold....everything

Frigidaire model #FRS6R5EMB8 will not get cold....everything in freezer defrosted and seems like the compressor is not coming on....two fans running all the time...

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good morning. if the fans and the lights are running but the compressor isn't the issue is the start relay.

Start DeviceNNN-NN-NNNN      Main Product Viewthis is plugged onto the side of the compressor. they have many different looking relays but this is the one they show for yours. do you hear any buzzing or clicking comming from the compressor area ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no buzzing or clicking from the compressor area

okay if you have a volt meter you can test for 120 volts going to the compressor relay. chances are 90 % that the relay is the issue however. you will need to replace it, heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/241524605/1155091?modelNumber=FRS6R5EMB8?RCAID=1000065 this is a common failure on these. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just curious as to why it is that the if the lights and fan work, then it can't be the compressor?

just wondering....

the timer controls the lights and fans and the compressor, so they will work but the compressor even though its getting power doesn't start. actually if the fans were not working I would have said it was something else like the cold control or the timer. but since the fans are running that means both of those are working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you....i will replace the start relay!

would you like to know the results if successful?

sure would, just come back and let me know, you can take that relay off and shake it also, a lot of the time it will rattle a dead give away. thanks , Bryan