Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Kenmore gas range (4 burners....not sure of model, looks like

Kenmore gas range (4 burners....not sure of model, looks like a 7240). When the oven is turned on, it fills with gas and there's a small explosion inside before it begins heating. any idea what might be causing this, and how to repair it?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, Even though you don't have the model number I can tell you whats going on. the oven igniter is failing and needs to be replaced. Actually this is a common problem on these. what you need to do is under the floor inside the oven there is one of these. Oven Igniter WB2X9154 Main Product Viewnow there are several types . theres the round one like the one above and theres also a square one like this. Oven Igniter(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View you will need to remove the floor and see which one you have. there should be two screws in the back inside the oven holding the flow down. remove them and take a look. these open the gas valve and when their weak it doesn't lite the gas as soon as it should so you get the small explosion when the gas finally lites. here is a link where you can order either one. click here hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm having trouble seeing/finding the screws. Any more specific idea where they are located>

Good Morning,if you can find the model number I can look up some diagrams for you. look in these places. graphicthanks ,Bryan