Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE bottom freezer unit and the refridgerator half

I have a GE bottom freezer unit and the refridgerator half is not cooling. The fans are running but no air is moving. Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that i can better assist you? it should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator.

Also, if you open the freezer door, do you hear a fan running inside the freezer? And is there any frost build up on the back panel inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No frost at all. Fan is running in the freezer. Numbers are 18 BMWHITE HG2100282
Can you look for the model one more time please? Those numbers aren't quite the model for some reason.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let's try the ones in the freezer by mod.GBS18HBRAWw
Perfect, thank you. That number works.

So on this model, if the frezzer section is working---something is stopping the air flow from the freezer up to the refrigerator. The evaporator where all the cold air is formed is in the floor of the refrigerator. You'll need to remove everything out of the refrigerator including the shelves and crispers at the bottom. There is a screw driverly in the middle of the floor torward the front. Remove this screws and start removing the plastic floor panel. From there, remove the panels and styrofoam below until you see the silver coils.

Now once you can see the coils, can you tell me what you see? Are the coils packed in frost? Is the fan blade not moving? If the fan blade is not moving, is there clear ice on the bottom stopping the fan from moving?

In the diagram below, 2, 15, and 14 are the panels you need to remove.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lots of ice, fan is frozen tight.
OK so this means that your drain has backed up. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the unit. Use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice out. Part 148 under the refrigerator back by the compressor is your drain hose. Remove this and flush it under the sink until it drains properly. The drain hose is located below the fan motor that is frozen now. Once you've re-connected the drain hose, shoot hot water down the drain hose from a turkey baster and make sure the water comes out of the drain hose down to the drain pan. Once it's clear and the ice is all thawed out---the unit will function normally again.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.