Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

looks like no power. No lights on. cannot start. we checked

looks like no power. No lights on. cannot start. we checked the breakers. that is not the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Could you open the door and look for the model/serial sticker. May I have the model number please?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

GLD5800L00CC

RH875446B

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
There is no beep nor any sounds at all when you push a button?

Is the door latching shut well?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes we checked that. The lights don't come on.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the breaker. Remove the lower panel, behind that panel you will see the wiring that goes into a small box. Open that box and check the wire splices there, Is one of those loose or burned apart? Take your time.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you talking about the panel on the breaker box or the dishwasher

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Both, first turn off the breaker to the dishwasher so there is no power to the dishwasher. That way you do not get hurt.

Then remove the very bottom panel on the front of the dishwasher below the door. Behind that panel you will see where the wires go into a small box. Remove the cover to that box and check the connections there. Is there one in that box that is burned or loose?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This may sound dumb but is that on the outside of the door at the very bottom with the door closed.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Correct its on the outside at the very bottom with the door closed. Some models will have 2 screws just below the door one at each side, and some will have screws that are lower than that nearer the floor.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are trying that now.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX time I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if we are looking right this panel in on the floor underneat the door. It looks like it is setting on the floor. Is that correct.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have it arrowed in the diagram below. Its only showing 2 screws and they appear you would get to them with the door closed and they would be just under the door.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my husbank took the cover off the box and checked the wires and he can't see anything wrong.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX put that all together. Thats a very common problem and I wanted to be sure that was not what was causing it not to work. Give me just a minute to type out the solution for you.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Does your husband have a volt meter or a test light? I just had a thought.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he thiinks he might. he is checking.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great let me find a picture.
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he found something that has 2 prongs shaped like a y attached to a little blue power tester. would this be it?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That could be an outlet tester, if thats what it is that will work. Is there a number on it somewhere, maybe I can find it and see if it is.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is a GE ac/ dc .it look like 50 - 300 volts

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That is it. If there is an ac setting on it set it to ac.

Remove the screws from the inside top panel to get access to the board between the inside and outside of the top of the door.

Once you get to the board make sure all the wiring is safe and not going to touch anything. Turn on the breaker.

With the probes from the meter touch one probe to a clean metal part of the door and with the other probe touch each of the wires on the connectors I have inside the red rectangle. Does the meter show power on any wire on any of those wires?

You can test in a wall outlet first if you would like. Put a probe one in each side and it should read around 115 volts.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does that panel have 8 screws?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

In a diagram all of the screws are not shown so I am not sure. The ones across the top inside of the door and a couple down the sides at the top.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i think we go it. give us a few minutes.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great, take your time.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my last reply about calling a technician or buying a new dishwasher. We have done about all we can do. He's putting it back together.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No I am sorry I did not. Give me about 2 minutes to get you the price of the 2 parts. One is broken. And I will type it all out for you.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

The most common thing to have happened is a wire is broken right at the bottom of the door at the hinge point from opening and closing the door. That can be repaired by spliciing the wires, that is a cheap repair.

If the wire is not broken there the only other thing that can be wrong is the control board. A repair person is going to charge more for this part, usually 20% more. It is $103 plus shipping at the site I have linked below thats about $123 plus the labor and trip charge. Here where I work we charge $65 for the repair and the trip total, that would be just under $200 for the repair if the board were the problem. $85 if we were to come and repair the wiring. One of those are bad, there is no doubt about it.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WD21X10247/1256953?RCAID=1000064

I should also mention every appliance repair shop charges different labor rates so be sure to ask, it varies widely here where I work from place to place.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link please.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.