John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

RA-150

Customer Question

Fridge model LMX28994ST/00 no refrigeration. This model does not appear to have a dual evap but it has what appears to be a valve and a special drier in the refrigerant gas system. What is the function of the valve? This model uses a variable speed or linier compressor. The compressor was changed as per a repair flash but it is still not cooling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I can see the drier in the diagram but I do not see a valve, do you see it? I put the diagram below.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Is it number 618 with the outline to the front of the compressor?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This may be the part. It is hard to tell in the diagram but the tubing pattern is similar

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Gord that looks like a directional flow or back flow valve. I have been looking to try and find an image of it. The diagram is so poorly drawn its hard to make it out. I just finished looking through the last manual I have.

Is this part on the smaller high side line with wires connected to it?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes . The part reminds me of the old 1990's frigidair check valve only with wires to it

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That has to be what it is. I cannot find anything on it other than it's a pipe valve assembly. Its definitly a valve that will open when the compressor starts and shuts when the compressor cuts off. There is no other purpose it could serve, you only have one evaporator. And its not a reversing valve, there is a defrost heater attached to the evaporator.

When your compressor does start does it run for a minute or so then bog down and shut off or does it just keep running?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compressor does not seem to bog and it continues to run. This type of compressor does not give off the same sound signals as the single speeds so it is hard to tell when it is under load. Low side pressure stayed at 2 psi when testing after compressor change. The charge was weighed exactly to spec. so it should be right.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
2psi is good. Can you get into the freezer and view the evaporator after its started. Does a light coat of frost appear on it after it runs a few minutes?

Also how many lines are connected to that part, sealed system lines?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frost on the evap even at start up. 3 - 3/8 inch lines at the valve. One from the drier and two go into the cabinet. one of the lines has what appears to be an accumulator about the size of a small dryer.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Strange, try this for about 20 or 30 minutes. Turn it on and after that amount of time feel the left side of the cabinet and the part of the frame between the freezer door and fresh food doors. Is that area very hot?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No heat from the halo pass or cabinet.. One of the pipes coming off the valve seems colder than the others.

I wish there was a scematic of how the gas system is set up. At this point I am not sure where the tubing goes inside the cabinet from the valve and what the 2 lines into the cabinet feed into.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

The 2 lines have to be the lines to keep the area between the doors from sweating. A line out and then a return. Then the single line going into the dryer is the one that goes into the freezer, I think. I cannot see it but that is what it sounds like. What I cannot figure out is why in the world would you do that, it doesn't make sense to me. And if there is an electrical connection then it would have to be a directional valve/ I have never seen one but I thought that maybe since I have done refrigerator repair for so long I would be able to figure it out if I could find a scrap of information on it. I can find absolutely nothing on that part. Out of all of the LG manuals I have here not one has that part in it. And then your getting 2 psi on the low side line which makes the puzzle even larger.

I am going to have to relist your question Gord, I just don't know. All techs will be able to see the conversation to this point. As soon as someone can help they will. Thank you for the opportunity.
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Berry. I've been a ref tec for 36 years and I'm stumped too. What I can't see is why 2 lines into the drier and three lines into the valve. The halo loop has to have an inlet and outlet. Booth ends can't be fed off the valve so one end is fed from the condenser I assume. No matter how I lay this out in my head it just doesn't work. We need to know more about how the valve works in the system and what the refrigerant path is inside the cabinet. Thanks for your input on this. I have also contacted the manufacturer but their experts don't have answers yet either.

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately my customer was not willing to wait for the the sollution to come through. We are now exchanging the fridge for the customer. Your tech was very knowledgeable and tried to help with a very unusual problem. I appreciate the time and effort he put in. I myself have been a tech for 36 years and know there are times when there isn't enough information available on a new product to solve a problem. This is one of those times and I am sure the information will become available in the near futrue. Just not in time for this customer. Thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gord, I am sorry no one was able to help. I was hoping but I kind of knew that no one most likely would have run into that problem yet. I will have to say that is the strangest thing I have ever heard of.

I wanted to also tell you it was nice meeting you before you left, and though I doubt you will need to return often for an appliance problem keep in mind that if you ever need us for another question we have many experienced and well trained professionals in many different categories.

Thank you for the opportunity and take care,
Barry