Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Fridge wont cant get cold enough. It is a 8 year old

My Fridge won't can't get cold enough. It is a 8 year old bottom freezer unit, model ARB224RCW. I am unsure how to get to the condensor coils to clean them, and unsureif that is the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to clean the condenser coils, you need to remove the vent panel below the doors. Then you can get a condenser coil brush at a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes. Then you can put the brush through the holes and clean the coils by scrubbing back and forth. Once they are all clean, pull the refrigerator forward and vacuum under where all the dust drops.

Also---is the refrigerator or the freezer section too warm?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The refrigerator section is to warm. If cleaning the coils does not do the trick, what else may be the problem?

That won't fix the refrigerator---that would only fix a freezer problem.

If you open the freezer door do you hear a fan running inside the freezer? Is there frost build up on the back panel inside the freezer that you can see if you open the freezer drawer?

If the fan is not running inside the freezer, then behind that back panel inside the freezer you'll need to order and replace the fan motor which is a part number W10128551.

If you see frost on the back wall, then behind the back panel clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coil is a defrost thermostat part number 12001937 that has likely failed and you'll want to replace that. It's 1" round with 2 wires going to it.