Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

F1 CODE (AGAIN!) ON BOTH DRAWERS OF FISHER PAYKEL. APPLIANCE

Customer Question

F1 CODE (AGAIN!) ON BOTH DRAWERS OF FISHER PAYKEL. APPLIANCE TECH LOOKED AT IT AND SHOWED ME A BROKEN PART ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TUB ON THE LOWER DRAWER - SAID IT WAS BROKEN ON BOTH DRAWERS. REPAIR ESTIMATE WAS OVER $1,000 FOR AN 8 YEAR OLD MACHINE.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

My name isXXXXX am going to assist you this evening.

repairguy :

I use to be a field service trainer for Fisher Paykel. I will get you through this repair

Customer: Rick it will be a miracle! I have replaced 2 rotors so far. I love the convenience of the machines; but Imy option at this point is to replace at the same cost +- as a repair or purchase a Bosch 800 or Miele?
Customer: Rick are you there?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I was having trouble with the chat portion and my computer. Ok what did he show you or did he give you part numbers to what he wants to replace?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Have you removed the bottom drawer or do you know how? If you have is there water in the bottom of the pan

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I need you to type your question for me in the box at the bottom. I am ready to assist you with fixing this unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F! switch showing. Tightened both rotors, checked for water in pan (none) started again when I was OOT and I had tried everything I knew. Turned off power. Appliance man was 2 weeks late in arriving. Showed me some part (with drawer removed) on the right that was broken. I did not see estimate - they just called me and gave a verbal $1000+ and told me about the necessary parts for both - which I do not remember, I can cal them tomorrow and ask for a fax or email
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

pull the bottom drawer out, located in the front of the drawer towards the bottom is a clip on each side. Push the clips in and backwards, that will disengage the drawer from the rails. Lift one side of the drawer and slide the rail backwards. Then you can just lift the drawer up and to the side there will still be wires and hoses connected. After drawer is removed, please tell me if you see water in the bottom of Pan. DISCONNECT THE POWER FIRST!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled drawer out again - dry. Machines have ben unplugged for 2 + weeks and there never was water in the pan. I checked when the problem first occurred. The tech pointed to some plastic something on the wall of the enclosure with tub pulled out. Sorry to be so vague.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

no that's ok, with the drawer out, you can see the hoses, along the hoses there is either a plastic rod or a metal rod attached to the rear and secures to the middle of those hoses. Can you please tell me which you have and if the plastic rod is broke. I will also need you to check the upper drawer. You can set the top drawer right on top of the bottom once you remove them.

Once you get this far we can run the units in diagnostics.

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took pictures! How can I email to you?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

if they will not attach here send them to rkwebert@gmail.com and I will take a look and respond right away

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That is the link support I was talking about. It does not appear to be snapped in two in any places? Do you want to run diagnostics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to do that and can we do it tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to do that and can we do it tomorrow? Yes it is broken beneath both drawers. It is plastic. Sorry I am not a good photographer!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sure let me know when you get on line and have some time tomorrow and I will walk you through it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will. More than likely afternoon or evening. If requires strength - I am strong (go to the gym!) but 74!!! Let me know if it might be too much for me.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

you will be fine, don't worry we will figure this one out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose you need to tell me how much the parts cost and if it will be possible for me to make the repair or does it require brute strength?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get notices that you have responded - cannot see a recent response.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
This is the first I saw you back on here today. I would say you need link supports for both drawers to start. Do you want to run diagnostics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand what you mean? Do I do it? If it is not too difficult
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can do it .

Push the lock and start button at the same time and hold for 8 seconds

Then hit the power button once and HO should come on the screen.

Let me know when you get this far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HO did not come on. Perhaps held Power down too long? Nothin on.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok when you push and hold the lock and the start buttons, when it goes to diagnostic you will see 188 on the screen, then push the power 1 time and HO will appear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
188 never appeared. it beeped as it counted seconds, i pressed Power and no 188
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

ok press the power off

make sure the display is blank then try one more time please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lower drawer started wash cycle, could not turn off. had to turn off power. Upper drawer did not respond! UGH!!!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It takes a little practice. Were you able to get a list of the parts the other servicer said you needed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No did not have time to think about it today. Will call tomorrow and see if they will send it. Then get in touch with you lonce I have info from them. You are great! Touch base tomorrow.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem at all. I do have a college class final tomorrow night but should be home by 8 or so CST.

Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we have not daytime (afternoon) time to chat today - noproblem. studying is more important . I have evening plans tonite and will resume tomorrow. I am near caving in and buying a new Bosch! oro Miele!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure we can fix this. but if you do cave I would lean towards Bosch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The repair co has not been able to locate service man's ticket. They are generally quite reliable; but I am concerned that my quote might have been off the top of his head! I will try to do the diagnostics today and let you know what happens; Hope you did well on exam!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lower drawer started wash cycle. upper drawer I got HO on screen; had to disconnect power because I could not get lower drawer to stop and I was afraid it would flood. Lower drawer now locked; cannot unlock and I am unable to top it without disconnecting power.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I hope i am not sending this message twice. Please remove lower drawer and run the top drawer on rinse. Look for leaks and please advice. If no leak run bottom drawer and when finished look for leaks. If leak comes from the back then the link support is the problem. Just let me know where you see water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot open lower drawer. It is locked, running. will not unlock and will not turn off. must disconnect power to stop it.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
does it sound like its running or draining
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
running! I think I am toast!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I just give up? I do not know how to get the lower drawer to stop running or or unlock. It seems determined to wash

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it's been a crazy day for me. you can let it finish cycle if you want or just killed a man power to it and let it sit for 5 10 minutes need it may reset itself. as a very last ditch effort you can always just give the drawer a good pull even though the lid is down you can force the drawer open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the possibility of flooding if I let it finish cycle 131 min? I have hardwood floors in my kitchen and it is on the second floor!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just opened lower drawer. It has water in the bottom of the drawer. I did get the HO on the upper drawer. What does all this mean? Tell me when to give up!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
it is not time to give up. for the top drawer push the start button to you see Ld, then hit the lock button. this activate the lids up and down every time you hit lock it changes. with the drawer half open you should be able to watch the lid come up and down. for the bottom drawer let it finish it cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am really confused. These drawers have no lids - they pull out. If the bottom drawer finishes the cycle is there a chance it will not drain properly?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
these units do have lids there just contained inside the unit. if you do the test on top drawer you will see the lid go up and down. from everything we've done so far I do not believe the problem is in the drain cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really do not understand how I am going to see a lid close when the drawer is closed! What did it mean when I got the HO on the top drawer. Tell me the meaning of that code.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ho stands for hardware output. It means you are on diagnostic. Open drawer half way. Then push start button till you see Ld then hit lock you will see the lid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No more time today - will try once or twice more tomorrow.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I have not been around, my weekends are the busiest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i understand. I am furious @ my repair co for lack of info. will try again tomorrow if I have time (you too). if not tomorrow, 1 more try Monday AM

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I have lower drawer running now (no water on floor) It is stuck in lock position so I could not open it to shorten cycle. It has been running -2-3 min. (was on 131) Is there a way to shorten cycle or do I just stand here for an hour and a half and watch it run!? I had to hurry, was able to release lock, changed to rinse cycle (although I did not put detergent in machine, the water in the bottom of the drawer was sudsy) and let it run 12 min. It did drain correctly, although there is a bit of water in the little space where the screen (?) is
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there is no way to advance the cycle. You can just hit the power button and that will stop the cycle. I don't believe you need to stand an watch the whole time though, as far as you have told me the unit has never leaked on the floor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now what to do? changed to rinse cycle. everything worked. upper drawer off

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I believe you just need get the link support kits and your problem will go away. Give me a minute and I will get you a part number.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The retro link support kit is part number 528437 it sells for $31.74 a piece and you can order from 800-936-7872. Once you get the kit installed which comes with great instructions. your problem should go away if it does not just come back here and I will help.

Rick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick, I just called the number you sent me and I think there is an error. Please check and send me another # or email or Co name. You are great and I will rate you excellent; but do not want to shut down until I order the parts.

M

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
you're right it is my fault. the correct number is 1888 936 7872. sorry for the confusion and I do appreciate the rating they always help thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does it require strength?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick How about another #? That one offers trips to Bahamas - forever and then directs to another # that is not good. Do you have another source or name of a source?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I believe that is the correct number. you can go to www.fisherpaykel.com all you're doing is calling the customer service they sell their own parts. and answer your other question no it doesn't require last drink you can do it