Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Viking stove mod# gcc5484gq/6g. Cust compl.constsntly popps

Viking stove mod# gcc5484gq/6g. Cust compl.constsntly popps breaker. Pulled 5he wire plug next to the oven ignitor with black and white wires and the breaker didnt pop when i plugged it in. I need help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for your question, it is appreciated. You have pretty much isolated the problem to the stove. You probably will need to change out the ignitor. Please go to the following website to get your part;

http://www.allvikingparts.com/Viking_Ignitors_Igniters_s/255.htm

Hope this helps and thanks. Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please exlpain, first i unplugged the oven ignitor and it popped the breaker. then i unplugged the connector next to the oven ignitor that has black and white wires coming out. then plugged in the oven , didnt pop. those wires appeared to go to the control board

the oven ignito

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Viking service tech and I can help you today, if you still need it?

Have you checked first to make sure that the metal casing from the bake igniter is not touching the chassis of the oven? If the metal from the casing of the igniter was touching any part of the metal housing of the oven or frame of the range then that could cause the bake igniter to ground out. And that would cause the circuit breaker to pop.

There of course are other things that could cause this problem as well but this is the most common one.

Please get back to me here if you need more help with this machine.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i unplugged the bake ignitor first off and it still popped the breaker .only when i unplugged the plug with black and white wires next to the oven ignitor,didn`t pop the breaker. those wires all looked like they went to the control board behind the burner controls

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
How did you unplug the bake igniter?

And if the bake igniter was not the cause then I would remove the back access panel of the machine so that you can check the main board. If we are sure that the cause for the popping breaker is not the igniter or metal housing to the igniter then I would have you check that next.

The wiring could either be shorted to the bake relay on the main board or the relay itself.

I know it will be a huge pain in the neck to get access to the back of the unit but there is nothing else you can do to accurately check the problem on this machine.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Basically all we need to do here is back track the wiring from the igniter to the board and check for any damaged or cut wires. Or any wires that may be shorting or grounding out.

And if you cant see any damaged wiring then the main board is definitely defective.

And the fact that you disconnected the igniter first and the problem still occurred lets us know that the igniter is not the cause for the problem. So again, check the wiring and then the board.

I know it is a simple answer and one you most likely thought of already but that is what you need to do and is what is most likely wrong with the machine.

If you are able to do that checking now then great, please do so and get back to me and let me know what you find. And I will get you the part info so you can order the part. If need be.

Otherwise, if you are not able to do these checks now, just get back to me here when you have a moment to get back to the machine and properly diagnose the problem. And if you need more help please get back to me here and I will help you more. I will walk you through it every steps of the way.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating. And if you still have more questions after positively rating me please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have any other questions or concerns. And please let me know what you find with the wiring and the main board and I will get you the part info should you need it.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry to bother but do you have a part # XXXXX this board

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
No worries. And it is not a bother.

Give me a few minutes to research the part info and I'll get back to you here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

way cool

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
you got it. checking it and pulling the info for you now. be right back.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay but it looks like my authorized viking website is currently not responding correctly. I apologize. Usually I would have the diagrams and exploded view diagrams within minutes. But it looks like their website is currently experiencing problems.

If you can wait until tomorrow night I will personally call them tomorrow and get the exact part for your model machine? otherwise, if you cant wait then in the morning I would advise calling your local appliance parts store or dealer nearest you or your parts distributor and get the info from them.

Again, I apologize for the delay and inconvenience. I will continue to check the website and get back to you here when and if I get any info from the website before calling them tomorrow.

I will post the part info for you here in either case. rest assured i will get you exactly what you need so you can order the part cheaply and save some money.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if you could get them that would be great ,much thanks

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Got it and confirmed by calling into Viking tech service department.

If when the oven is in use it will pop the breaker and you have disconnected the oven igniter/ electrode and the problem still occurs then back track your wires from igniter to the dsi module board under the right hand side of the cooktop. (If the problem occurs when using the larger oven)

There is most likely a grounded wire or cut wire which is causing the breaker to pop when the oven is in use. It is common on these machines.

If you do end up needing the board it is part number 023651-000 for machine made after 12/29/10

If your machine was made before that date then you need dsi module part number PA020056.

They have made updates on the board that is why there are two different part numbers.

The board on your model is under the cooktop. And you can either gain access by remove the bullnose or by removing the grates and cooktop burners. The dsi module will be under the cooktop on the right side.

Please get back to me here if you need any other help or need more clarification and I will help you more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the breaker pops as soon as electricity is applied to the machine . also the burners on the stove wont light when the plug with the black and white wires is unhooked . i assume thats because that board controls the oven ignitor as well as the top burners. is that circut board the ignition system for the whole shebang

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok gotcha. You didn't mention the cooktop not working while wires are disconnected. Those wires are going to the dsi module. That is otherwise knob as the spark module. It send power to all igniters for the machine.

It is a very common part to fail on these machines. Check the wiring to and from the dsi module like I explain above and see if any wires are damaged. If wires are damage repair them first. If wires all look good then replace the dsi module.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have the board coming but i just need a clarification. is the bullhead you referred to the front panel that holds the controls? also ,can you give me any diagrams for this critter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i replaced the board on the right side and now it doesnt pop the breaker but no spark to the top burners and no oven light . help

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So we are getting there.

Which board did you replace? The ignition board? Just want to be sure.

Now the surface igniters don't ignite? Can you lite the burners with a match? If so then the spark module ignition board was either wired incorrectly or is bad.

As fr as for the oven light, did you try another bulb? Sometimes when you are experiencing electrical problems like this it will cause the bulb to go out. So if you put another bulb in and it works then you had a bad bulb. If it doesn't work with a new bulb then either the switch or light receptacle is bad.

Get back to me here and I'll help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

allrighty. ireplaced the dsi board with a new one following the directions for the wiring .however i have a problem after i opened the cover i saw there was another board just like thew one i replaced above the small oven. i can light the burners with a match but get no igniter sparking .. i wasn`t refering to the light bulb, iwas saying that there is no spark comingfrom anywher on the machineoves or top burners..this thing is whipping my.the only thing different after i put in the new board was that it didnt pop the breaker when i plugged it in

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok. so if you replaced the dsi board but now nothing is happening, no sparks from any igniters, then you either have a bad board or a miswired board.

The dsi board controls all the ignition devices in the machine. But if your machine has two, one for the left side and one for the right, then one or both have to be bad.

Please go over the wiring making sure the wires are all fully connected and in the correct place. And if they are and you don't at least get a spark from either the top surface burners or the bake burners below, then return the board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was very careful about the wiring on the new board, even the purple wire placement . i wonder if i changed the wrong board. . the 2 boards look the same , could i swap the one for the other since the new board i bought required wiring changes.if i can do that . im trying not to eat a board

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
What wiring change did you have to do? That could be the whole problem.

And yes, definitely try swapping the boards. I thought you had mentioned you tried that already.